• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest 8x42 vs Vortex Razor 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Well. after workout over the bank holiday weekend, I decided to keep the Vortex.
The ergonomics of the Razor are spot on for me. No matter how much I spent on a pair of bins I don't think I could better these. Optically, to my eyes the Razors were as sharp as the Conquest's, may be even a tad sharper over a good distance. Close up they both looked the same to me. The main difference in the view was that the Zeiss had a yellowish cast, which made the image more colourful, the greens seemed a tad greener and the reds a tad redder. Very subtle though. The Zeiss seemed a tad brigher but it was a kind of false brightness, if that makes any sense. In contrast, the Vortex had a slightly cooler/bluer image, but, and this is what clinched it optically for me. To my eyes there was less in the way of the view. I thought both were excellent and I would have no problem using either. The Zeiss will have better resale value, but won't make any difference to me, because by the time I sell them, if I ever do, neither will be worth much. I would have preferred the Vortex were made in Japan and not China, but for £680, I'm not that bothered as long as they do the job.

Last edited:
Ron,
Your keeping the Vortex after comparing them against the Conquest. Remind me what's happening to the Zeiss, thought you had them on approval?
Cheers,
Pat

Ron,
Your keeping the Vortex after comparing them against the Conquest. Remind me what's happening to the Zeiss, thought you had them on approval?
Cheers,
Pat

Everything you buy on the internet is on approval.

I'm returning the Zeiss Pat, they didn't blow the Vortex away like I read on some forums. To be honest, I'm struggling to see how any binoculars could "blow the Vortex away" They have a really clean image, but they are on the cool side compared to the Zeiss. Next time I go to Martin Mere I'm going to the In Focus shop, it they have some Swarovski SLC 8x42 I'm going to compare them.

Or should I? lol

Good on you, it's been an enjoyable thread and you've chosen your binos. Just dont look and walk past the optics display.Quickly!

Good on you, it's been an enjoyable thread and you've chosen your binos. Just dont look and walk past the optics display.Quickly!

It's not that easy though is it? the optics are all set set up in a hide, which is also their shop. I'll have to go into the hide to see the birds. Might be a good idea to leave the credit card at home though.lol
I'll be sure to report back if I do go in.

Ron

Last edited:
This just once again proves that everyone's eyes are unique.

I've looked through more pairs of Vortex Razors and Conquest HD's than I can recall - many times side-by-side. In every case, the Conquest HD's bested the Razors. Always brighter, better edge to edge, no having to change diopter settings when you change focus (an issue I always seem to have when using Vortex bins) and just better overall build quality. For my eye sockets, both the Razors and Conquests fit just right, with just the right amount of eye relief (10x42's here), so in that dept. it's a wash.

Personally, I think Razors should be a $750 bin. I think the markup on them is significantly more than the Conquests, but that's just a guess based on how hard salespeople tend to push the Vortex line.

At least three times now, with three different sales people, they have pushed the Vortex on me (hard) and when I mentioned the Conquests, they just got real quiet. Even they admitted the Zeiss were a better binocular, but that didn't stop them from pushing the Vortex. To me, that's a clue. Now I see that Conquests are disappearing from Cabelas and Bass Pro stores. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Don't get me wrong - the Razors are very nice binoculars. But I would gladly pay $250-400 more for the Conquest HD's.

Last edited:
Justabirdwatcher,

That is so true about Cabelas pushing the Vortex, when they say we have the Vortex line - very sharp to the edge, I respond maeaaa...no thanks. Vortex is overcharging for the razor because of the very generous Warranty. I agree it should be a $700.00 - $750 glass. Personally, I was not impressed with the build quality, but that is just my 2 cents.

Andy W.

Justabirdwatcher,

That is so true about Cabelas pushing the Vortex, when they say we have the Vortex line - very sharp to the edge, I respond maeaaa...no thanks. Vortex is overcharging for the razor because of the very generous Warranty. I agree it should be a $700.00 - $750 glass. Personally, I was not impressed with the build quality, but that is just my 2 cents.

Andy W.

I had the Vortex Razor and the Zeiss Conquest side by side for three weeks and here are my observations. Build quality. To me the build quality of both is very good, they are different in fit and feel, the focussing on the Vortex is silky smooth, better than the Zeiss. The Zeiss have a chunky rubbery warm feel to them, the Vortex are slimmer, have an harder, colder feel, which I personally prefer. Some people may see this as a difference in build quality, I don't know?
The build quality of both is good enough. It only a pair of bins when all said and done. Optically? The Zeiss do seem to be a tad brighter, but to my eyes this is false. The view and this is the only way I can describe it, is there seems less in the the way with the Vortex, they are just incredibly clear.

What is it about the build quality of the Razors your not happy with?
The more I use mine the better I like them. Havind said that I would be perfectly happy with the Zeiss. In my case, they were both the same price. £680.
Would I pay more more for the Zeiss? No. Would I pay more for any binocular? Probably not.

Ron

I have watched Vortex and how they get product placement in a retail store. In my local Cabela's they push for a prominent place in the showcase, I'm sure they pay greatly for that.

I think they have a sales force that calls on stores, more than others like Zeiss. As a push they offer a bonus to the guys selling binoculars, mostly part time college kids. Those guys are experts :-O

Grocery stores do the same thing, the vendors pay the store for shelf placement.

I made a recent visit to a Scheel's sporting goods store, and I found the china made Vortex binoculars in the same glass showcase as Swarovski.
What a heresy!
It was either in the Bismarck or Fargo, ND store.

I wonder what the optics mgr. got paid for that decision, from Vortex.

Retail product placement is another topic that could be another thread.

Jerry

giosblue,

Enjoy the Vortex,...we all have different tastes regarding glass. The optics are good and the manufacturer backs it up with a very good warranty. The key is that you made a decision on something you like.

Andy W.

giosblue,

Enjoy the Vortex,...we all have different tastes regarding glass. The optics are good and the manufacturer backs it up with a very good warranty. The key is that you made a decision on something you like.

Andy W.

I have to agree with this. I once sold a minty pair of Swaro SLC HD's because I found an old very beat-up pair of Nikon LX-L's just have a more "believable" image to my eyes. And I could use them and even lose them, without that constant fear of "something" happening to them, because I got them for 1/4 the price of the Swaros.

At some point, the IQ is "good enough" and after that, the rest are just details.

Everything you buy on the internet is on approval.

I'm returning the Zeiss Pat, they didn't blow the Vortex away like I read on some forums. To be honest, I'm struggling to see how any binoculars could "blow the Vortex away" They have a really clean image, but they are on the cool side compared to the Zeiss. Next time I go to Martin Mere I'm going to the In Focus shop, it they have some Swarovski SLC 8x42 I'm going to compare them.

Or should I? lol

For what it's worth, once you pass the $500 mark, I have never found anything that just blows anything else in the price range away. There's differences, but they arent all that great.

Where the problems may lie is 20 years down the road. My Zen Ray Primes are the equal of my Zeiss Conquest, as long as I dont need warranty work. Zens gone daddy gone, Zeiss is still around.

Having made the above comment, I dont really feel either blow my Leupold Yosemites away.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back