• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E-5 (1 Viewer)

Hi All!
As you all know, the E-5 is announced. I come from an E-500 --> E-520 background and been saving for a while. The E-5 will be my next camera :)
It will be used primarily with my 50-200+1,4tc untill I can afford the 300/2.8.

The reason I choose the E-5 instead of the E-3/E-30 is wheather sealing, no banding and this "In the C-AF mode, both the focusing rate and the number of successively recordable frames have been significantly increased compared to the E-3"
http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2010b/nr100914e5e.html

Video is a nice bonus and 720p is way more than I need. On youtube I often settle with 480p on fullscreen even tho I can see that 720p and 1020p is better. 480p is "ok" for me and 720p is good.

How do you all feel about the E-5?

seem to be a fantastic one, specially as having HD video which is a great thing to have.

the only problem with Olympus is there very limited line of lenses that can be used for wildlife photography.

i am dreaming of the day Olympus announces a prime 400 or 500 mm lens.

IMHO, an important issue would be the max aperture for the long end (400 mm). I would like to have a f4.5 or something around. I would say that f5.6 it is the minimum acceptable value...
So, from my point of view, a 100-400 f2.8-4.5 would be great.

It seems to me that the E-5 is largely an E-30 in a weatherproof body with a few extras such as video and a larger LCD. It is about twice the current price of the E-30 but I assume the street price will soon drop to a more acceptable level.

Regarding new lenses, I have been reading a quote from Olympus Europe's Miquel Angel García, saying that Olympus will not be producing any more Four Thirds lenses as the present catalogue meets their goals. In future they will be developing the range of Micro Four Thirds lenses to make them as good as the Four Thirds range.

On a more positive note, I see that Samyang has just released a new 35mm lens in Four Thirds mount. Perhaps there is a slight possibility that they will produce some longer Four Thirds lenses in the future. I have no idea what their quality is like though.

Ron

It seems to me that the E-5 is largely an E-30 in a weatherproof body with a few extras such as video and a larger LCD. It is about twice the current price of the E-30 but I assume the street price will soon drop to a more acceptable level.
Well, not quite. The difference is bigger than between 5DmkII and 1DsIII.
Main points (including those you mentioned):
Weatherproof
Larger & higher resolution LCD
Larger Viewfinder
Video
Improved CAF ("significant" according to the release)
Better pixelsharpness (comparable to 4mp according to a print Olympus is showing at Fotokina)
SD instead of XD
ISO 6400
Improved liveview
7EV AE bracketing
Option to add nfo in EXIF
Stronger flash
Newer processor
More artfilters + ability to change the filters
Larger buffert (probably)
and probably more....

Regarding new lenses, I have been reading a quote from Olympus Europe's Miquel Angel García, saying that Olympus will not be producing any more Four Thirds lenses as the present catalogue meets their goals. In future they will be developing the range of Micro Four Thirds lenses to make them as good as the Four Thirds range.

On a more positive note, I see that Samyang has just released a new 35mm lens in Four Thirds mount. Perhaps there is a slight possibility that they will produce some longer Four Thirds lenses in the future. I have no idea what their quality is like though.

Ron

Yeah, a bit sad :(
I want tele and AF.... But it is nice that someone still gives us lenses! :)

Ron

after i broke my bigma, and just can't find a way to repair it in my country, and with the poor IQ of the Zuiko 70-300mm + 1.4 TC, i am thinking seriously of selling all my Olympus gear and change to Sony, just love there new alpha nex 5, and the fact they have compact size with full frame sensor and a good choice of lens that suits the need of wildlife photography.

frankly i am not expecting much of attention from Olympus to wildlife lenses even for there new line of micro four third lenses.

i am really sorry that i have changed the direction of this thread in my last post, i am really feeling down with lot of despair.

i am really sorry that i have changed the direction of this thread in my last post, i am really feeling down with lot of despair.

Ammadoux - I hear you! No worries, a camera is there for you, not the other way around. Pick the one that suits you best!
Just wanted to add that the NEX 5 have no AF tele lenses for wildlife yet. If you are not going the manual focus way?

Last edited:

And now that update have been updated by the headquarters :)
Olympus has stopped developing new lenses for now, but may resume in the future if the need arises. And they have updated the firmware for the three SWF lenses for better C-Af, mostly for the E-5, but I notice an improvment with the 50-200 swd on the E-520!

E-5

The C-AF function has been improved in the E-5. As a current owner of the E-3 I would never use C-AF after struggling with it for a few years, firmware updates and all. I have been testing C-AF on the E-5 using the 300mmf2.8 and the 150mmf2. It works very well. I wouldn't say that the E-5 does not have banding. But just like the E-3 banding will not be an issue under birding conditions.

Hi All!
As you all know, the E-5 is announced. I come from an E-500 --> E-520 background and been saving for a while. The E-5 will be my next camera :)
It will be used primarily with my 50-200+1,4tc untill I can afford the 300/2.8.

The reason I choose the E-5 instead of the E-3/E-30 is wheather sealing, no banding and this "In the C-AF mode, both the focusing rate and the number of successively recordable frames have been significantly increased compared to the E-3"
http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2010b/nr100914e5e.html

Video is a nice bonus and 720p is way more than I need. On youtube I often settle with 480p on fullscreen even tho I can see that 720p and 1020p is better. 480p is "ok" for me and 720p is good.

How do you all feel about the E-5?

Thanks! I havn't recieved mine yet, and I am glad to hear about the AF! But what do you mean with the banding? I havn't seen any in the samples I've seen online yet (not even at iso 6400) but the E-3 can display it on iso 800 in worst case senarios.

I have just done a search and it appears that my E-30 has now all but disappeared from UK stores. I now own an antique! So it appears that the choice of Olympus SLRs is now restricted to the E-620, the few remaining E-3s or the new E-5.

I look forward to seeing the results from the E-5 when they become more widely available. I also hope my E-30 keeps going for a few more years.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back