• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus 550 results (1 Viewer)

Oly 550 More Pics

Rah
You appear to know Olympus super's inside out, sure you're not working for their design dept ?
Thanks for the advice though.
More pics attached from a lovely walk at Moneyash, Derbyshire yeaterday.
75c, Warblers and Redstarts singing, Brimstone, Orange Tip, Peacock, Green Veined White and Small Tortoiseshell's everywhere
Butterfly and Toad are using the macro.
Best
Mick

Attachments

• COMMON TOAD (Small) 140407.JPG
    COMMON TOAD (Small) 140407.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 110
  • SMALL TORTIOSESHELL (Small) 140407.JPG
    SMALL TORTIOSESHELL (Small) 140407.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 122
  • WILLOW WARBLER (Small) 140407.JPG
    WILLOW WARBLER (Small) 140407.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Mick Sway said:
You appear to know Olympus super's inside out
Well, actually I'm not all that sharp. In fact, I made a mistake. What I should have said is to change the AUTOFOCUS mode to SPOT, instead of the default "iESP". It is this default mode that causes the focus pointer to jump all over the place. In the PDF manual, the modes are described as follows:

------------------
"In the top menu, select MODE >>MENU >> CAMERA >> AF MODE >> iESP or SPOT"

"AF MODE - Changing the focus range
This function allows you to select the focus range of your subject.

->iESP Focus selection is based on the entire picture on the screen. Even
when the subject is not in the center of the screen, focusing is
possible.

->SPOT Focus selection is based on the subject within the AF target mark."

-------------------

It seems to me that this default iESP mode searches throughout the image for a vertical line to focus on, jumps the focus mark ( ) to that line and focuses. So, for example, if you want to take a picture of a person standing in front of the edge of a building, if you point the center focus mark at the person and half-depress the shutter, the focus mark is liable to jump to the vertical edge of the building and focus on it.

In SPOT mode, the camera will try to focus on what you are pointing at - (i.e. the person). The focus mark is in the center and will not move. If it cannot focus on what you are pointing at, you will get a warning and/or you'll notice the camera "hunting." At this point, you can try pointing to the edge of their face (which is a vertical line) and try again.

In other words, you have CONTROL over focusing with the SPOT option. This is what you want. I wonder if folks are having trouble focusing because of this pesky default iESP mode.

This info is from the C-730 and C-750 models, and the terminology might have changed. But based on the posting above (complaining about the jumping pointer), it does seem that Olympus is still using this weird default.

More results

Took these on Anglesey & Conway last week. (let me know if I have a wrong i.d.) All are on full zoom & untouched-because I don't know how to do that (if anyone wishes to re-touch and post them I would like to see results).
I have just a few more and will post them soon.
I think they are Dunock, Greylags, Turnstones & Wheatear

Attachments

• Dunnock.jpg
    Dunnock.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Greylags.jpg
    Greylags.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Turnstones.jpg
    Turnstones.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 109
Just a few more results

Lapwing on full zoom
Choughs (not the Alpine!!!) on full zoom
Swan-pretty sure I've got this i.d.correct
Adder-not strictly a bird but I was pleased so thought I'd post it (there is another thread about snakes somewher so I will post on there as well.

As previous-I don't have facilities to enhance so if anyone wants to sharpen them and re-post I would be pleased to see results.

Attachments

• Lapwing.jpg
    Lapwing.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Choughs.jpg
    Choughs.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Swan.jpg
    Swan.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Adder.jpg
    Adder.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 97
David, Mick,

What do you think of the camera? I was thinking of getting a good compact and carrying about with me. I was looking at the Oly, Panasonic or the new Sony H9. I thought that I'll wait until the reports come through on the Sony.

I had a quick go at the Choughs image, it's a low res image, so there's not much to play with, but with a higher res file would be ideal, but, I think it's good.

Attachments

• Choughs.jpg
    Choughs.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 104
pe'rigin said:
David, Mick,

What do you think of the camera? I was thinking of getting a good compact and carrying about with me. I was looking at the Oly, Panasonic or the new Sony H9. I thought that I'll wait until the reports come through on the Sony.

It is the only good quality compact I have tried so can't compare to the others (I have had various point & shoot but this is the 1st bridge camera). Personally I like it and think I will get better. It's easy to carry and easy to use. It seems slow to start up and zoom out but as I say its the 1st I've had. I would recommend it but you need to ask those who can honestly compare-and i don't know if anyone has genuinely done this.
I very much like the 500mm zoom and this week am getting the 1.7 convertor-that will be interesting.

Your Photo's

Nice images Dave, particularly the adder - I've never come across one myself.
I still think that the definition of the pic's on this camera are iffy.
Got to keep trying though.
My next efforts will probably be from Lesvos where we are off in 2 weeks.
Best
Mick

Mick Sway said:
Nice images Dave, particularly the adder - I've never come across one myself.
I still think that the definition of the pic's on this camera are iffy.
Got to keep trying though.
My next efforts will probably be from Lesvos where we are off in 2 weeks.

I agree with you Mick. However your going to Lesvos (I'm only slightly jealous) and no doubt you will carry the camera everywhere which would be a real problem with a full DSLR. Any other P&S wouldn't have the zoom range-it's difficult to compare. I fully intended to go DSLR but I keep wondering if I will get the use out of it as I do a Lot of walking.

Peregrin
I will post some with the TC-hope I'm not disappointed.

Mick,

If you could post a couple of your images from Lesvos trip, that would be very handy.

David,

I have all the kit, but sometimes you just want to be out with something light, just to record a image or event, without lugging 20lb's on your back. The lightest lense I have is the 300mm, 2.8VR, which is bloomin heavy to lug about. That's why I'm interested in this post, I like the Canon S3, but things have moved on since this camera came out.

Lesvos Photo's

Hi Perigrin
I'd love to get a high quality Camera, however it would be a real luxury for me. As Dave suggests it would probably spoil our walking, which we enjoy as much.
If you are interested click on my name to the left of this message, to go to my gallery.
Most of the photo's are taken with the OLY 770 (4.0 m pix, 10x zoom+1.7tele) in Lesvos last year.
You are quite right at least the 770 gave me mobility
I was hoping with 10m pix , 18 x zoom + the 1.7 tele, would show a great improvement. The truth is that I think that the old 770 camera is much quicker to focus and gave better pictures.
I would be interested in what you think of these.
Attache a couple of other photo's from last year's trip.
Best & thanks for the feed back.
Mick

If you could post a couple of your images from Lesvos trip, that would be very handy.

Attachments

• Herons Stork Black Kalloni Salt Pans 060505 (Small).jpg
    Herons Stork Black Kalloni Salt Pans 060505 (Small).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Jay Eurasion Nr Kalloni Pool 070505 (Small).jpg
    Jay Eurasion Nr Kalloni Pool 070505 (Small).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Nuthatch Krupers Alchaderi 070505 (Small).jpg
    Nuthatch Krupers Alchaderi 070505 (Small).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 97
  • WHEATEAR ISSABELLINIS IPSILOU TRGL 160506 (Small).jpg
    WHEATEAR ISSABELLINIS IPSILOU TRGL 160506 (Small).jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 128
Mick,

Thank you.

I think these images are OK, we both know that there will be a quality difference between a camera set-up costing £450 to one costing £10,000, but that's not the point, as I think we both want something light and portable to carry around.
I think the Oly does fit the bill.
I would like to see a higher res image on this camera, with perhaps an increase in shutter speed applied, I've yet to play with this camera so realistically I'm going by what you and David write.
I have done a slight post-production on your Wheatear shot, and I think it's a good record of the bird. It's never going to enlarge to A4 for reproduction, but I have other kit for that, but for just ease of use, it does fit the bill.

Attachments

• WHEATEAR.jpg
    WHEATEAR.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 121
Photos

Hi
It's certainly sharper, is it done with Photoshop ?
I will post some Lesvos 550 pics when we get back, sometime after 17/05/07.
Thanks
Mick

I have done a slight post-production on your Wheatear shot, and I think it's a good record of the bird. It's never going to enlarge to A4 for reproduction, but I have other kit for that, but for just ease of use, it does fit the bill.[/QUOTE]

Olympus 550 with 1.7 TC

I took these at the week-end. All are on full zoom and using the 1.7 TC. Non are re-touched or cropped.
As we have all said, it can't compare to a full DSLR but being able to carry it on walks compensates.
I will purchase a full DSLR but will keep this set up for general use.
I would appreciate any comments.

Attachments

• CAPE58LX.jpg
    CAPE58LX.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 117
  • CAVCIEWZ.jpg
    CAVCIEWZ.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 120
  • CAVGKJ5K.jpg
    CAVGKJ5K.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 103
  • CAY9OGA2.jpg
    CAY9OGA2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 112
I'm going to get contraversial here (again). This is the longest thread with some of the worst bird photos I've ever see on this site. I suggest you all return the camera to Olympus and demand your money back. No manufacturer should produce a camera that produces these results in this mature stage of digital technology. We were getting better with the Nikon 990 8 years ago. Neil

All are on full zoom and using the 1.7 TC. Non are re-touched or cropped.
Were you using a tripod on these pictures? It is very difficult to tell whether the soft focus is caused by poor focusing of the camera or camera shake.

Usually I would think it was camera shake, especially because you are using a VERY high zoom level, but with the reviews we're seeing of the 550, it might be poor focusing. If you are not using a tripod, I think it would be a real help for folks to see some pictures at high zoom WITH a tripod (doesn't have to be birds, just anything) so we can tell whether this camera is a dog or it is just camera shake.

The point is that many of these photos are in themselves very good re composition and the capture of the subject - those last heron ones for instance - it is the camera that is'nt giving the results. You don't need to spend a fortune - a refurbished or Ebay E-500 or E-300 and a 40-150 [80-300] could be got for £300-£400. Does'nt weigh a ton either. Plenty of scope for cropping.

Attachments

• P4206185.jpg
    P4206185.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 112
You're probably correct, however for those considering buying this camera right now, at least they've got some evidence of what to expect.
Wish I'd waited to view this thread before I bought it.
Nevertheless now I've got one I'll keep trying and support this thread.
I hope that I'm speaking for others when I say that most of us are looking for a reasonable record photo, unfortunately I've yet to get one.
Regards
Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back