• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hotels near minsmere? (1 Viewer)

Storm-Petrel

registered dude
hi everyone, I'm not that sure if this topic is in the right section but I didn't know where else to put it.

I am going to go to The Minsmere Nature Reserve the friday after next. I'm going to be spending two nights in the area, but I can't find any hotels under 80 pounds a night that are close to the reserve. It would need to be within walking or biking distance; at most 10 miles. Could someone please point out any nice places to stay near the reserve under 50 pounds a night, if there is such a place. Thanks!

Hi, i don't know any personally but if you go to the Visit Suffolk accomodation webpage, and click on the area to the south of Southwold then Search, there are a number of B&B's and self-catering in the Saxmundham area that mostly look to be in the £30 - £45 per night bracket. Lovely area for cycling too.

i am fairly sure there are one or two B&B's in Westleton as well, but can't remember the names. Maybe worth ringing southwold tourist office .... + 44 (0)1502 724729

There are lots of B & Bs around and I'm sure google, or possibly better for B& B is yell.com, will help.

The Eels foot at Eastbridge does self catering and I think B & B, and has reasonable home cooked food. 300 yds from reserve edge! (2m from reserve visitor centre).

the Red Lion at Theberton does OK food and I think B & B

The Crown at Westlon is I suspect over you budget - haven't been there for ages.

Try the White Horse at Westleton. They used to to do B & B, but again I'm out of touch.
Medium walk - reserve edge only about 1/2mile.

Middleton Bell is another possibility, but changed hands in last year or so.

White Horse in Leiston uninspiring but solid.

Leiston has good supply of Fish and chips (3), Chinese (2) Indians (2), Kebabs (1)
Cafe for all day b'fast (not evening) and lots of coffee shops and a rediculous lot of pubs, many of which do not do food.

Vulcan at Sizewell does carvery, not sure if beds at present.
Easily walkable

King's Head, Griffyn and Blois Arms are the three at Yoxford. Also country Hotel there calle SAtis House, but also changed hands in last few years. May be out of budget.

Darsham Fox - ? no B & B.

Dunwich ship - ? no B & B
Easily walkable

Aldringham Parrot & Pucnchbowl - good food, but no B & B?

Thorpness Dolphin - getting a bit far for bike. Not sure about B & B
2m coastal walk.
Also two cafes in Thorpness.
Gold club does accom too.

Aldeburgh, Snape, Thorpness, Saxmundham, Friston, Sibton, Peasenhall - all at limit of cycling so I wouldn't bother there is so much choice closer.

Try phoning Aldeburgh Tourist Office - they ay well be able to help even though I think town centre too far.

thanks everyone. Im going to do some research on all the ones you suggested. and the westlon crown is way over my budget ;)

thanks again, and Im really looking forward to getting to minsmere.

Here are some hotels near Minsmere Natural Reserve
The Westleton Crown
Thorpeness Hotel
The Thorpeness Hotel
White Lion Hotel
The White Lion Hotel
The Brudenell Hotel
Swan Hotel
The Kings Head Hotel
Kings Head Hotel
Waveney House Hotel
Butley Priory
The Carlton Manor Hotel

Last edited:
have just returned from my 5th visit to Jo and and Roger who run the Touchwood B and B in Kelsale, just outside Saxmundham. had not been there for over a year but if i go to minsmere i always call them first. lovely breakfast. nice clean house. friendly helpful folk.

i also returned to the white horse pub at baddingham for an evening meal, having eaten there many times before and been very pleased with their food. home made steak and kidney poie, home made chicken base dishes, all home made traditional english dishes. huge servings. it is under new ownership now. the menu is completely different, fewer choices and no much that i could readily understand what it was i would be eating. a gastro pub? luckily we did not order drinks while browsing the menu, so we left.

went to the poachers pocket free house and had a wonderful meal of steak salad and chips, my friend had scampi salad and chips. fantastic simple understandable food. would recommend the poachers pocket.

touchwood b n b can be contacted on 01728 603214.

obm

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back