• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew/Whimbrel (1 Viewer)

stevemoorevale

Good evening.

Attached is a photo i took today. Both Curlews and Whimbrels are present at the site (Wembury, Devon, UK) but we were unsure due to distance which were which.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.JPG
    IMG_2914.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 233
You can see the dark lateral crown stripes. Also, the bill of a Whimbrel bends more towards the end and is straighter at the base when compared to the evenly 'bowed' Curlew bill.

This will be a group on migration. I dont know about that particular site but its not unusual to find them moving north in groups like this, nice spot!!

Thee has been a good passage of Whimbrel in the south this week and this should continue for a week or two esp if we get SE winds

cheers, a

I'm hoping to walk down to this spot again this week with my bigger camera lens and hopefully they will still be about and i can get some better photos.
Regardless, i am pleased to have seen them as Whimbrel was a 'lifer' for me.

Whimbrel can also appear a richer dark brown in flight. Not sure if it's always the case but all dark wingtips as in the left hand bird are also a useful pointer from Curlew if you can't see the head pattern/bill/size or hear the call.

A fair few coming though now - but still a very nice bird to encounter!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back