• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the best roof in the world better optically than the best porro? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I used to think porro's were better optically than roofs but after comparing the Swarovski 8x32 SV Swarovision to my Nikon 8x32 SE and Nikon 8x30 EII I think the SV is better optically than the SE or EII. What do all you porro lovers think? Have you ever compared them?

I used to think porro's were better optically than roofs but after comparing the Swarovski 8x32 SV Swarovision to my Nikon 8x32 SE and Nikon 8x30 EII I think the SV is better optically than the SE or EII. What do all you porro lovers think? Have you ever compared them?

There is nothing to compare, because there exists no high end binocular with Porro prisms any more on the market.

Cheers,
Holger

There is nothing to compare, because there exists no high end binocular with Porro prisms any more on the market.

Cheers,
Holger
The SE and the EII are as about as "High-End" as porro's get I agree but many think they are still better optically than the SV. I disagree. I think finally IMO the roofs have surpassed them with the 8x32 SV.

The SE and the EII are as about as "High-End" as porro's get I agree but many think they are still better optically than the SV. I disagree. I think finally IMO the roofs have surpassed them with the 8x32 SV.

This is true, though it has nothing to do with the prism type. The SV has superior edge-sharpness, CA-control and transmission. If you would take a SE/EII and flatten its field, add ED-glasses and state of the art coatings, then you would arrive at the same (if not superior) optical performance, and perhaps 30% cheaper.

Cheers,
Holger

The SV has better light transmission than the best Porro ?

This is true, though it has nothing to do with the prism type. The SV has superior edge-sharpness, CA-control and transmission. If you would take a SE/EII and flatten its field, add ED-glasses and state of the art coatings, then you would arrive at the same (if not superior) optical performance, and perhaps 30% cheaper.

Cheers,
Holger

Dennis,

When you already have the best birding binocular on earth why ask if it's the best??

Let's see. Add ED glass, coatings, field flatteners, eyecups worth the name, super-easy eyepiece design that doesn't give you blackouts, waterproofing, smaller, lighter, and... oh that's right, you've already got the best birding binocular on earth.

Mark ;)

Holger has snookered your question Dennis, we simply don`t know how good a porro could be given the investment lavished on today`s roofs.

Are you an insecure person ? you seem to be seeking approval from other forum members rather often.

Holger has snookered your question Dennis, we simply don`t know how good a porro could be given the investment lavished on today`s roofs.

Are you an insecure person ? you seem to be seeking approval from other forum members rather often.

Yep, that's it. Dennis came to the exact opposite conclusion last year or so, and started about 10 threads on the subject. Why anyone would take the guy seriously is beyond me. It's the Sybill syndrome plain and simple.

Dennis is preparing to dump his porros now that their market price is high, but needs a little false consensus on his "straw man" argument to convince him. Or he's worried by Holger's new piece on the merits of porros. Whatever. This will go several pages also, ad nauseum.

Here is an idea.

Stop commenting and see how long it will take him before he starts responding to the comments above.

The SV has better light transmission than the best Porro ?

I don't think so, even Swaro claims better light transmission for their Habicht series of porros compared to their roofs. If I remember the numbers correctly from proudpapa's ebay site it's something like 88-90% light transmission for the SLCs and ELs versus 96% for the Habichts.

Steve

Cheers,
Holger
I agree with you. The SV's have left the porro's in the dust with all the improvements in their latest incarnation. For $600 you can't beat the SE or EII but they aren't the optical equal of the SV's. It is just that when I look through the SV, SE, and EII I am amazed that the SV is quite a bit better. If you want the best view you have to pay the $2K. Sorry, porro's lovers.

Last edited:
I agree with you. The SV's have left the porro's in the dust with all the improvements in their latest incarnation. For $600 you can't beat the SE or EII but they aren't the optical equal of the SV's. It is just that when I look through the SV, SE, and EII I am amazed that the SV is quite a bit better. If you want the best view you have to pay the $2K. Sorry, porro's lovers.

So! What else is new, Johnny One Note?

Just a personal preference, but I still prefer the view from the SE and EII better than any roof out there, and I must have tried them all by now, including SV's. Most recently I owned an SLC HD 8x42 for a few months so got to know it quite well, and a stunning bin it was ( apart from the awful focuser) but still it didn't wow me quite as much as the SE.
I guess my eyes just settle more easily into the porro view. Apart from the obvious 3D advantage I seem to perceive a sharper, more transparent, more clearly defined image with the SE's , though I doubt they are really any sharper than the SLC HD or SV.
So, from a purely optical point of view, for me, the SE's are still unsurpassed.

I don't think I've yet heard a WOW! out of Dennis re:- the 8x32SV .......

I also don't think that *perfunctory* is going to cut it for long (no matter how much reassurance multiple x32SV threads ultimately yield), especially with an x32HT on the horizon ........ :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Just a personal preference, but I still prefer the view from the SE and EII better than any roof out there, and I must have tried them all by now, including SV's. Most recently I owned an SLC HD 8x42 for a few months so got to know it quite well, and a stunning bin it was ( apart from the awful focuser) but still it didn't wow me quite as much as the SE.
I guess my eyes just settle more easily into the porro view. Apart from the obvious 3D advantage I seem to perceive a sharper, more transparent, more clearly defined image with the SE's , though I doubt they are really any sharper than the SLC HD or SV.
So, from a purely optical point of view, for me, the SE's are still unsurpassed.

X2 :t:

I went birding yesterday. We have an 8.5X42 SV, an 8X32 SV and a few 8X32 SE's. I took my SE.

The 8X32 SV beats the SE on many fronts. I commented on that here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=242005

Anyone using an 8X32 SE is not missing any detail or suffering any loss of color and contrast. I believe the 8X32 SV is the better choice for hard core birders, but that's about it. Would I recommend you buy an SE? Probably not. Go figure.

PS
Dennis, let me know how much you get for your porros.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back