• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the best roof in the world better optically than the best porro? (1 Viewer)

I think I am going this way too. I really like the smaller porros in the 30 and 32mm range, but I do tend to grab my little 8x30 roof much more before heading out lately. It's b/c my Nikon SE is still somewhat large (wide) compared to a compact roof such as the Swaro CL I have. Lately, I'm preferring light, compact roofs even though my 8x32 Nikon SE has a way better image. I never thought I'd do this, but I believe at some point I may sell the SE. It should be used more and, since I work full time and really only have the weekends to get outdoors with the bins, the SE is not seeing a lot of action. I've been thinking of getting one bin that combines the nice attributes of my CL and SE; the waterproof, lightness, small size of the CL and the super sharp optics and nice focuser of the SE. I will need to spend some bucks. I will still have my little Jenoptem and original Yosemite.
You're already saving up for an 8X32 Swarovision...we can read between the lines. Get your SE/CL sold and join the club!

You're already saving up for an 8X32 Swarovision...we can read between the lines. Get your SE/CL sold and join the club!

It's a sweet binoc ! but, actually the Ultravid is leading right now. When I am ready, I will consider the SV of course and take another look at it.
I'll also take another look at the Victory FL 8x32; will give the FL some more consideration instead of just dismissing it like I did last time I tried it.

Annabeth

Have you ever read The Master and Margarita? There is a cat in there who packs a Browning semi-auto and this kool cat wid da bins looks like da same kool dude.

Love it

Lee

I will check this book out on Amazon :) right after my lunch break...which is in just a few minutes....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

It's a sweet binoc ! but, actually the Ultravid is leading right now. When I am ready, I will consider the SV of course and take another look at it.
I'll also take another look at the Victory FL 8x32; will give the FL some more consideration instead of just dismissing it like I did last time I tried it.
The Ultravid and FL are both great bins, assuming you can live with their shortcomings. The 8X32 SV, of course, isn't suitable for everyone.

Same thing happened to me. I had the 8x32 SE for 2-3 years but it just wasn't getting much use. I had issues with blackouts, it was a pain to keep rolling the cups up and down when my wife was with and we tried to share it, when I was traveling (especially by air) I just liked the little 8x32 FL better. So the SE fell out of use and was sold. That doesn't happen to all users, but it might surprise you how many have sold them over the years. Just goes to show you one size doesn't fit all.

Mark
Mark,

I could write a similar story but I will avoid repetition. I think I have had my 8x32 FL for seven years and I must have sold my SE, shortly after buying the Zeiss.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Annabeth,may I suggest you use the other hand to your mouse hand,to focus your binos.End of problem and look how much money I've saved you...Eddy

Annabeth

Have you ever read The Master and Margarita? There is a cat in there who packs a Browning semi-auto and this kool cat wid da bins looks like da same kool dude.

Love it

Lee
brilliant book! then try 'the heart of a dog'. mikhail bulgakov was a genius.

I think I am going this way too. I really like the smaller porros in the 30 and 32mm range, but I do tend to grab my little 8x30 roof much more before heading out lately. It's b/c my Nikon SE is still somewhat large (wide) compared to a compact roof such as the Swaro CL I have. Lately, I'm preferring light, compact roofs even though my 8x32 Nikon SE has a way better image. I never thought I'd do this, but I believe at some point I may sell the SE. It should be used more and, since I work full time and really only have the weekends to get outdoors with the bins, the SE is not seeing a lot of action. I've been thinking of getting one bin that combines the nice attributes of my CL and SE; the waterproof, lightness, small size of the CL and the super sharp optics and nice focuser of the SE. I will need to spend some bucks. I will still have my little Jenoptem and original Yosemite.
"I've been thinking of getting one bin that combines the nice attributes of my CL and SE; the waterproof, lightness, small size of the CL and the super sharp optics and nice focuser of the SE. I will need to spend some bucks."

$2K. Swaro 8x32 SV.

Neither holds a candle to the Swarovision 8x32.

Annabeth,I also am right handed but as I have said before my left hand is the fastest and more precise,as in a southpaw boxer.Try it out you may amaze yourself....Eddy

They both might be better choices for some users. Both, but especially the Leica are considerably smaller than the Swarovision, and the close focus ability (limit and focus ratio) of the Zeiss makes them the best choice that I'm aware of for butterflying+birding.

As for the Nikon SE, I got them way back when they first came out and will not part with them because they are such a nice bin, but though I've used them in the field, I've never considered them a great birding bin in comparison to my favorite roofs (at the time when I acquired the SE, my favorite 8x32 was the Leica BA) for the reason that they have slow focus, stiff focus in cold, poor hang, and are as bulky as many 8x42 roofs without the advantage of the larger exit pupil.

--AP

They both might be better choices for some users. Both, but especially the Leica are considerably smaller than the Swarovision, and the close focus ability (limit and focus ratio) of the Zeiss makes them the best choice that I'm aware of for butterflying+birding.

As for the Nikon SE, I got them way back when they first came out and will not part with them because they are such a nice bin, but though I've used them in the field, I've never considered them a great birding bin in comparison to my favorite roofs (at the time when I acquired the SE, my favorite 8x32 was the Leica BA) for the reason that they have slow focus, stiff focus in cold, poor hang, and are as bulky as many 8x42 roofs without the advantage of the larger exit pupil.

--AP
The Leica is smaller and the Zeiss may focus closer but neither gives the quality of view overall that the little Swaro does.

The Leica is smaller and the Zeiss may focus closer but neither gives the quality of view overall that the little Swaro does.

When are you going to post a review of the little 8 x 32 Swaro comparing it to the 8 x 32 SE, the Leica and the Zeiss?

You know, a detailed test comparing them and their "quality of view overall."

Beth, I'm not sure who Dennis is trying to convince more ...... you - or ...... himself! :-O

Maybe by the time the savings accumulate there'll be a neat little Zeiss Victory HT 8x32 to throw into the mix ........ ;)

This might be the sum of all fears for Dennis?! :eek!: teehee

I, and I am sure many others, would value your comparisons of the x32 'alpha' dawgs - L, Z(FL +HT?), S. I would think the nice N(EDGII) is probs out of consideration on size /weight grounds alone .....(btw, if you're having trouble deciphering this code - ask pomp to translate!) o:)

Chosun :gh:

Beth, I'm not sure who Dennis is trying to convince more ...... you - or ...... himself! :-O

Maybe by the time the savings accumulate there'll be a neat little Zeiss Victory HT 8x32 to throw into the mix ........ ;)

This might be the sum of all fears for Dennis?! :eek!: teehee

I, and I am sure many others, would value your comparisons of the x32 'alpha' dawgs - L, Z(FL +HT?), S. I would think the nice N(EDGII) is probs out of consideration on size /weight grounds alone .....(btw, if you're having trouble deciphering this code - ask pomp to translate!) o:)

Chosun :gh:

Yes the Nikons are too heavy otherwise I'd consider them.

I would like to wait for the new Zeiss 8x32, but it could take too long to hit the market. I'll go back up to the Audubon store and give more time to the FL.

:)

Yes the Nikons are too heavy otherwise I'd consider them.

I would like to wait for the new Zeiss 8x32, but it could take too long to hit the market. I'll go back up to the Audubon store and give more time to the FL.

:)
Annabeth. You won't like the Zeiss FL's. They are fat little stubby things that won't fit your hands. If you like the ergonomics of the CL you are going to like the SV. It is very similar to your CL except way better optically.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back