• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bogey nailed! (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Finally, after my wife mocking me for the last few years, that she's seen half a dozen, I get my first Clifden Nonpareil.

St Petersburg, tonight.

Attachments

• rsz_3006633580214940614.jpg
    rsz_3006633580214940614.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Thanks Rose,
slightly better pics, the undwerwing is equally striking, it's amazing in flight and big!!.

Attachments

• rsz_20180815_104640.jpg
    rsz_20180815_104640.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 17
  • rsz_20180815_104718.jpg
    rsz_20180815_104718.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 15
Thanks Rose,
slightly better pics, the undwerwing is equally striking, it's amazing in flight and big!!.

How did you do that? Did you raise it from the egg?
Lovely creature, am somewhat envious, here in NYC the policy is to spray generously, for fear of West Nile. That keeps the mosquitoes down, along with most other insect life. A bad trade, imho.

How did you do that? Did you raise it from the egg?
Lovely creature, am somewhat envious, here in NYC the policy is to spray generously, for fear of West Nile. That keeps the mosquitoes down, along with most other insect life. A bad trade, imho.

An hour in the fridge makes them docile for photography, most 'moth-er's' do it. It does no harm, the insect soon warms up and is then released.

I do it (and so do others) with Dragonflies too.

Certainly a wonderful moth which I've yet to connect with- so good luck to you. They seem to be now established as a resident in a few places in the south of England now so maybe in a few years we'll get them around London. If they do will follow a pattern by other species such as Toadflax Brocade, Small Ranunculus, Jersey Tiger + Tree Lichen Beauty to name a few.

An hour in the fridge makes them docile for photography, most 'moth-er's' do it. It does no harm, the insect soon warms up and is then released.

I do it (and so do others) with Dragonflies too.

A neat dodge!
I'd thought you had dipped the finger into nectar or some other attractant.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back