• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

ahhhhhhh, i did say to my dad maybe it was to do with trains, but said i'd check, cos if it was a bird, id go tomorrow haha

cheers for clearing that up for me!

I've just posted this same request on the Seaton thread by mistake, I hope you don't mind the double post.

I'm wondering if any of you kind souls can help me out.

The only time I've been in Devon so far was a disastrous foray to dip on long-billed murrelet and cattle egret on the day the murrelet vanished, a day I'd sooner forget. It's a long way down from here at 55 degrees north.

I'm trying to put things right this weekend with a trip first to see my son in Bristol then to move on to Devon for Saturday and Sunday to fill a few spaces in my British list, staying at Sidmouth, but wandering around as need be.

I think I'm OK for cirl bunting and Dartford warbler from published information, but I'd like some hints on where to find cattle egret and cetti's warbler. Are the four cattle egrets that were reported from Kingsbridge still in the same locality?

What about nightingale? Are they in yet?

Thanks in advance for help with making this trip the opposite of the stormy, wet birdless disaster of my previous visit.

Used my car as a hide on the Skern this afternoon and got some great views of the wheatear's, some as close as 3 mtrs. What great little posers they are.

Attachments

• wheat1.jpg
    wheat1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 34
  • wheat2.jpg
    wheat2.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 41
  • wheat3.jpg
    wheat3.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 38
At last a Sedge Warbler seen singing at Sherpa Marsh this evening. Lots of Swallows and Sand Martins and a few House Martins too.
What I'm pretty certain were 9 Yellow Wagtails flew over too. No cows out yet so they aren't pitching in...

Jon

A walk on the Grand Western Canal from Sampford Peverell out to Lowdswells and back produced two Common Sandpiper, a sulking Sedge Warbler, a Whitethroat, a few Swallows, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps.

One Common Sandpiper on the canal is always a nice rare treat but to have two flying about together was amazing.

I was just heading out for a bike ride around braunton great field when all the local Gulls got up to scream at something - this is usually one of the local Buzzards... but today, I added Osprey to my garden list!!

Jon

The long staying Cattle Egret still at Yelland this afternoon.

I'm just back home from a weekend in Devon this afternoon, so I didn't see the report of this egret on Saturday. I went to Yelland yesterday afternoon on spec. on the basis of the last report I saw on the 12th.

Result! We'd just got past the farm and had a couple of false alarms with little egrets out on the salt marsh when the cattle egret flew in low over our heads and landed next to the farm in the pony field.

UK tick.

Attachments

• P1160622 copy.jpg
    P1160622 copy.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
My first Goosander ducklings of the year this morning. 10 of them on the Dart. Two Common Sandpipers also on the river - they generally appear at this time of the year and stay but stay for only one or two days at the most.

Lucky again this evening at Sherpa Marsh - a female-type Marsh Harrier briefly before flying off over the great field. Lots of Sand Martins as well.

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back