• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (2 Viewers)

Thanks for all your advice. Hope it stays a few weeks longer until I come back from North Uist. A Birder I know we ll told me he was fairly sure he saw a Hawfinch yesterday near the gliding club at Feshiebridge. I didn't know they were this far north. Anyone know if they are. Regards Roger

Quite a few reported for Nethy Bridge earlier this year. Also, previous sightings for Aviemore and Insh Marshes on Bird Track, so sounds very possible your friend was right.

Roger,

Look from the high viewpoint by the shop with the petrol pumps, that gives the best view of the rivermouth area.

Be aware that it may be quite close to the shop so its easy to look straight over it with bins!

Good luck

John

Two other Birders and I spent several hours at Strontian on May 19 and we didn't even find any Mallards let alone the Black Duck. We searched everywhere including several times where a local told us he had seen it early morning. The lady from the house across the bridge from the church told us that it had been on her pond all the previous afternoon but that it wasn't there now. That pond cannot be seen from the road. As far as I am aware there have been no recent reports although I may have missed some messages. All the local residents we spoke to were very friendly and helpful and it was a lovely detour. Roger

Two other Birders and I spent several hours at Strontian on May 19 and we didn't even find any Mallards let alone the Black Duck. We searched everywhere including several times where a local told us he had seen it early morning. The lady from the house across the bridge from the church told us that it had been on her pond all the previous afternoon but that it wasn't there now. That pond cannot be seen from the road. As far as I am aware there have been no recent reports although I may have missed some messages. All the local residents we spoke to were very friendly and helpful and it was a lovely detour. Roger

This has been my problem for years - in spring and summer it just disappears, and even in autumn and winter it has previously been terribly unreliable. That's why I made a special trip early this year - for once it was behaving. Sorry you missed it, but I hope Ardnamurchan is now on your radar for the future!

Cheers

John

This has been my problem for years - in spring and summer it just disappears, and even in autumn and winter it has previously been terribly unreliable. That's why I made a special trip early this year - for once it was behaving. Sorry you missed it, but I hope Ardnamurchan is now on your radar for the future!

Cheers

John
Before we started going to the Outer Hebrides we used to go to Skye and then Mull. Always crossed from Lochaline and stayed at Strontian a couple of times .Now the Lochboisdale ferry goes to Mallaig and not Oban will no doubt visit again. Regards Roger

Hi guys, not been on here for a while but on my way home this evening I saw and photographed a White Crow and wondered how rare these birds are. I have certainly never seen one before. It was quite happy with a group of normal 'black' crows and was roosting in the same place as them without being attacked.

It's lovely to see you back Andy.

All-white birds are pretty rare, though there's loads with varying amounts of white feathers. I'm really not sure if their life expectancy is reduced because of it.

It is my understanding that all-white birds (which normally are pigmented) do have a shortened life span compared to those of normal color. Firstly, they are more visible to predators than their pigmented brethren. Secondly, white feathers tend to be weaker than dark ones; they fray and break more easily. Many normally white species (Snow Geese, American White Pelicans, Whooping Cranes, White Storks) have black flight feathers for just this reason. Of course, white herons and egrets, white-winged gulls, etc. are exceptions.

It turns out the bird is a white jackdaw rather than a white crow. I have seen it on and off since early this year but finally got a photo of it yesterday. I am assuming it is not that rare that numbers of the community would not descend upon the small village where I saw it, or is it indeed worthwhile posting in the rare bird sightings thread?

Lot of Pink-feet heading south over the Cairngorms today and yesterday, a few Whoopers seen also. White-tailed Eagles being seen more often down in Strathspey along the river, their usual wintering haunts hunting wildfowl.

Lot of Pink-feet heading south over the Cairngorms today and yesterday, a few Whoopers seen also. White-tailed Eagles being seen more often down in Strathspey along the river, their usual wintering haunts hunting wildfowl.

Staying near Inverness for a few days, can you point me in the right direction to possibly see WTE in Strathspey

Many thanks

Hi all,

Visiting Mull next week for 2 days on our way up to Skye. Its our first time on Mull so are there any places in particular anyone would recommend? Aside from otters and Twite we haven't got any target species, just see what we can and get a feel for the island pending a longer stay in the future.
Any advice much appreciated!

Most of the info you need can be found in The Opus article for Mull.

Check out the External Links at the bottom too... there's a link to the Mull Birds website, with latest sightings etc.

Enjoy!

Oh and if your're going via Oban-Craignure, did you know you could leave by Fishnish-Lochaline. A much quicker way to get to Skye.

Hi Delia,

Thanks for the Opus link, target species list now up to 20! Already booked the Oban-Craignure return but will definitely look into the other route if/when we return!

You're welcome Stuart.

I wonder, the two ferries are operated by the some company, maybe you can switch the booking. In fact you don't have to book for the small ferry.

BTW the Skye page in The Opus, also has a Sky Birds link on it, though the article itself needs a lot of work doing on it.

Couple of Ruff on the Lossie estuary this lunch time, only got network access so sorry for delay, from ID forum may be juvenile male & female.

Jim

Attachments

• Desktop_001.jpg
    Desktop_001.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Back