• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

This morning's sightings courtesy of Mike W, Matt S and Dave J:

SAILING POOL
2 Little Egrets (with a probable third bird on the Hen Pool), c90 Pied Wagtail leaving roost, 2 Grey Wagtails, Kingfisher

MOORS POOL
Black-tailed Godwit, Green Sandpiper, Little Egret, 8 Wigeon, 23 Pied Wagtail, 51 Herring Gull, Common Sandpiper, Pochard, Siskin, 2 Skylark, Curlew, 86 Meadow Pipit, Coal Tit on feeders.

FLASHES
Curlews left c.7a.m., 1 Green Sand, 64 Shoveler, 39 Teal, c175 Lapwing, distant fly-over plover sp (most likely Golden)

Last edited:
ROB spoke to Trust they know nothing. I will speak to AZTEC and find out. Maybe the reserve is the Education reserve?
Will find out and post.
Thanks for letting us know:t:B :) john

The full blurb - https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Leica-Optics-Nature-Event - clearly indicates the event involves two walks around the WWT reserve itself but makes no mention of permits etc. Not sure what the Trust's stance is regarding corporate events but at £30 a ticket the reserve should surely get more than £3 permit money per head? However given the date they may be disappointed to find the Flashes closed!! :eek!:

This evening in the Flashes roost Craig had:

800 BH Gull, 5 Yellow-legged Gulls (three adults and two third-winters), a first winter Common Gull and c400 other large gulls.

First light at the Flashes and Dave J reports:

Tawny Owl, 2 adult Yellow-legged Gull, 6 Green Sandpiper, 2 Common Gull (first winter + second winter), 360 LBB Gull, 19 Herring Gull

September closed with a decent haul of 112 species.

Recent Octobers have seen between 92 and 95 species recorded - potential additions to the year list include Brambling, Rock Pipit, Mandarin Duck, Goldeneye, Woodcock, Mealy Redpoll, Crossbill and Little Stint.

From the Moors Pool Dave J reports:

Black-tailed Godwit, first winter Common Gull, 8 Wigeon, Little Egret, Pochard, 2 Gadwall, Coal Tit, 4 Swallow, 7 Siskin

Last edited:
Work party TUESDAY

This Tuesday's work party will be resuming work on the new East Marsh channel. The last few sycamores and willows rooted in the channel will be removed and burned.
We will also be opening up the secret garden that has completely overgrown and very little can be seen from the viewpoints.
Contract work on the new North Moors hide will also begin.
Thus anyone who was planning to go birding I would suggest go to FLASHES in the morning . The car park will probably be full.
Please meet at MOORS car park 9am
John:t:JOhn

The full blurb - https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Leica-Optics-Nature-Event - clearly indicates the event involves two walks around the WWT reserve itself but makes no mention of permits etc. Not sure what the Trust's stance is regarding corporate events but at £30 a ticket the reserve should surely get more than £3 permit money per head? However given the date they may be disappointed to find the Flashes closed!! :eek!:

The Trust notice does say that only the hide will be closed, so there are still options. The hide might even be open by then...
More interesting is John's earlier post saying the Trust knows nothing about this event. Is that confusion at the Trust or is it that the organisers (who are tbe organisers by the way?) of the event have been advised by 'someone' that there is no issue with this? Probably isn't provided that we get the permit money, but it would be good for relationships if the Trust was advised of the group visit to keep regulars informed as is the custom when group visits ars planned.

The Trust notice does say that only the hide will be closed, so there are still options. The hide might even be open by then...
More interesting is John's earlier post saying the Trust knows nothing about this event. Is that confusion at the Trust or is it that the organisers (who are tbe organisers by the way?) of the event have been advised by 'someone' that there is no issue with this? Probably isn't provided that we get the permit money, but it would be good for relationships if the Trust was advised of the group visit to keep regulars informed as is the custom when group visits ars planned.

The Trust's website now states that the main Flahes hide will be shut for three weeks which will coincide with this event. Given the principle purpose is to flog thousands of quids worth of Leica gear I suspect a warm dry hide would be an advantage. I do recall the Trust getting a contribution from sales when In Focus held field events from the concrete hide back in the day

Flashes work October

I have spoken to Andy at the Trust. He agrees with me that there is no point closing the hide during the work. I told him that some people would be interested in seeing what is being done . As long as birders realise that disturbance will be high and there won't be much to see (although birds are at a low point at that time of year anyway). The work is integral to the future Flashes . :t:john

I have spoken to Andy at the Trust. He agrees with me that there is no point closing the hide during the work. I told him that some people would be interested in seeing what is being done . As long as birders realise that disturbance will be high and there won't be much to see (although birds are at a low point at that time of year anyway). The work is integral to the future Flashes . :t:john

Did wonder why the hide would be closed, thanks for clarifying John.

Redhead Goosander on the Moors Pool this afternoon. Also Common Sand still hanging on.

Decent numbers of Little Stint still scattered around the West Midlands plus a Pec Sand today at Salford Priors so still some wader opportunities out there.

Last edited:
popped into the flashes for 1/2 hour this evening 17.45-18.15
single Green sand,Lapwings,7 Curlew (1 with silver ring)other curlew in transmitter field,Little Egret in with the gull roost,200c BHG, 20 LBBG, 2 Herring gulls.
Sailing pool, 3 Grey Wag and lots of Pied wag over the car park.

Of interest today, Green Sandpiper, Raven and 3 Curlew at the flashes, early afternoon. Common Sandpiper, Water Rail, 8 Wigeon and several Jays at the Moors, plus a Ruff dropped in at 3:45pm and a Red Kite over the barn conversions at about 3:10pm.
John

Early start at flashes...0630-1130...very quiet once all the gulls had departed

Canada Goose (280)
Goldfinch (an ever-increasing flock of up to 80)
Blackcap
Curlew (15)
Green Sand (5)
Greylag (48)
Lapwing (c170)
Pheasant (2)
Reed Bunting
Shoveler (c80)
Teal (c45)
Snipe (1)

Moors (1200-1330)

Cettis (1)
Coal Tit (1)
Goldcrest
Little Egret (2)
Shoveler (40)
Teal (30)
Snipe (1)
....no sign of wigeon from east hide

Ruff

Of interest today, Green Sandpiper, Raven and 3 Curlew at the flashes, early afternoon. Common Sandpiper, Water Rail, 8 Wigeon and several Jays at the Moors, plus a Ruff dropped in at 3:45pm and a Red Kite over the barn conversions at about 3:10pm.
John

May well have been the same Ruff i saw fly in as i was going through the gulls.There was no entry in the log for Ruff or Red Kite,significant birds, which would have been helpful.

Cheers Chris.

May well have been the same Ruff i saw fly in as i was going through the gulls.There was no entry in the log for Ruff or Red Kite,significant birds, which would have been helpful.

Cheers Chris.

Thanks for the unnecessary sarcasm. IF you'd checked the book in the east hide you would have seen the entry.

Cheers, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back