• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

JTB reports from the Flashes:

Teal 85, Mallard 38, Shoveler 3, Little Grebe, Coot 1 (??), Moorhen 29, Water Rail, Pheasant 6, Snipe 9, Curlew 12, Lapwing 305, Green Sand 3, Meadow Pipit 16, Chaffinch 5, Linnet 2, Goldcrest, Cetti's Warbler, Redwing 10, Song Thrush 6, Stock Dove only 2!

Three year ticks and a host of familiar faces should have made it a good day but with reports of falls of Wheatear elsewhere plus sightings of Hobby, Cuckoo, Whinchat and Arctic Tern in the region it felt a bit of a let down - perhaps the less frequently I go to Upton the greater my (unrealistic) expectations becomes on each visit? Neverthess it was good to catch up with Terry H, John Ridley, Phil Wood, Andy Pitt, Trev Jones, Graham LaB, Bob Williams, Jared T and Alan Giles amongst other - with that level of coverage if there was something decent present I am sure if would have been seen.

SAILING POOL
1 Common Sand, 1 Grey Wagtail, 9 GC Grebe, 4 Gadwall (2 pairs), 9 GC Grebe, 14 Tufted Duck, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Greylag Geese, 4 Canada Geese, 8 Coot, 1 Moorhen, Cetti's Warbler

FLASHES
1 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Ruff, 1 Snipe, 5 LRP, 36+ Avocet, 3 Redshank, 2 Common Sand, 7 Lapwing chicks still, 6 Shoveler (5 males + 1 female), 3 Gadwall (pair + male), 5 Shelduck, 1 Teal (male), 6 Tufted Duck, 22 Coot, 9 Moorhen, 5 LBB Gull, 3 Herring Gull, hybrid BH x Med Gull, Lesser Whitethroat singing between Hen Pool and feeding station, 8 Linnet, 4 Greylag Geese over, 2 Roe Deer, Little Grebe calling from the Hen Pool.

Common Gull (first summer) later as per Andy P

MOORS
2 Mute Swan, 4 Greylag Goose, 1 Cormorant, 2 GC Grebe, 1 Shoveler (male), 6 Gadwall (2 pairs + 2 males), 1 LRP, 1 Common Sand, 3 Lapwing, 6 Oystercatcher, Common Tern briefly, 5 Herring Gull, 2 Med Gulls (both second summer), ringed BH Gull - white EFV4 (Dutch scheme), Swift, Jay, Raven, Kestrel, Goldcrest, Lesser Whitethroats on North Moors and along west track as per JHWR + JT.

Really encouraging that the number of dabbling duck drakes vastly out-numbers the females - hopefully there are sitting females hidden away somewhere on the reserve. Less encouraging was the lack of singing Willow Warblers, I don't know if anyone else had any success?

I have now had a response on ringed Black-headed Gull white EFV4.

It was ringed in the nest at Zoetermeer, Benthuizerplas in Holland (5 miles east of The Hague) on the 4th June 2016 and was seen there again on two further dates later in the month. It was then noted at Slimbridge on the 14th April 2017 before being sighted at Upton ten days later.

Last edited:
JTB reports from the Flashes:

Teal 85, Mallard 38, Shoveler 3, Little Grebe, Coot 1 (??), Moorhen 29, Water Rail, Pheasant 6, Snipe 9, Curlew 12, Lapwing 305, Green Sand 3, Meadow Pipit 16, Chaffinch 5, Linnet 2, Goldcrest, Cetti's Warbler, Redwing 10, Song Thrush 6, Stock Dove only 2!

Yes only 1 coot accompanying the little grebe on 3rd Flash.
Stock dove as per usual only a few remain during the winter, the majority move out.. there should be more though but that could be due to very soggy ground.
The group of pheasants and curlew flock were all feeding in the NE fields.
In the west and southern hedgerow were plenty of passerines unfortunately I had little time left to spend watching them.
Bullfinch 10 (+4 by hen brook) total 14. Greenfinch 4. Chaffinch 4. Linnet 2. Goldfinch 20. Goldcrest 2. Song thrush 5.

I took these pictures a while ago in the Water Rail Hide and I wonder if anyone could tell me what specie of vole this is (I was thinking Bank Vole)?

Many thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 17.15.34.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 17.15.34.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 17.15.57.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 17.15.57.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 111
ID help please

Hi all

Can you help with ID? I popped over to the flashes to see the finished work and whilst I was looking at a couple of pied wagtails these dropped into view - I think they might be linnets rather than hedge accentors, but am not sure as it is winter and I think they loose the red tops? Sorry photos are not great - one more to follow!

Thanks Julie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 96
Hawfinch over the Moors Pool and Garden Warbler still as per Paul R

Garden Warbler showing well in spindle tree at east end of causeway & occasionally in apple tree opposite. Hawfinch as elusive as ever, Whooper Swan and Blackwit still present. Plenty of thrushes and finches around this morning between showers.

Garden Warbler showing well in spindle tree at east end of causeway & occasionally in apple tree opposite. Hawfinch as elusive as ever, Whooper Swan and Blackwit still present. Plenty of thrushes and finches around this morning between showers.

On your Upton list yet mate?

Thought I had posted this late last night....but couldnt have done it correct.......sorry.

Friday....
Whooper chased off a Mute Swan even though they are bigger.
Moorhen chased off Water Rail.
3 Little Egret
12 Curlew
BT Godwit
Kestrel around new hide
Pheasant came out of far right side reeds and past hide onto track to North Moors....imitating the Grouse in the advert....

Attachments

• Canon 2017  NOV 10 138 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 10 138 A_filtered.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Canon 2017  NOV 10 143 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 10 143 A_filtered.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Canon 2017  NOV 10 146 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 10 146 A_filtered.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Canon 2017  NOV 10 150 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 10 150 A_filtered.jpg