• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (44 Viewers)

A sudden appearance of that many in an area would make me suspicious. I was very surprised when I found a group of 17 on my patch this autumn - too good to be true because that is exactly what it was - a little bit of investigation (talking to to local farmers) confirmed this beyond doubt.

No one around to ask in my case. Suspect they came from some way away, unless they were specifically introduced on the farm in question which, if the case, would seem to be for reasons other than shooting (unless they're trying to establish a population to be shot?). Be interesting to see if pairs are again noted in spring this year.

The Spring All-Dayer (7th May 2016) saw a new colour-ringed Black-headed Gull encountered at the Flashes - a first year bird with orange "284A" on its right leg.

This bird was ringed in the nest on the 18th June 2015 at Blashford Lakes near Ringwood at the edge of the New Forest in Hampshire. The only other sighting of the bird came from Galway in Ireland on the 18th March 2016.

This ringed Black-headed Gull was noted again in Galway last weekend - there were no records between this observation and its sighting 20 months ago at the Flashes.

No one around to ask in my case. Suspect they came from some way away, unless they were specifically introduced on the farm in question which, if the case, would seem to be for reasons other than shooting (unless they're trying to establish a population to be shot?). Be interesting to see if pairs are again noted in spring this year.

Just to add to the picture, Jason K advises that he hasn't encountered Grey Partridge in the wider Shenstone area since 2013 and not in the traditional Stanklyn Lane / Heath Lane locality since 2011 :eek!:

Today at Reserve

MOORS
Whooper swan. no mutes!! Little grebe 2. Cormorant 30. Shelduck
Shoveler 16. Teal 30 . Gadwall 2. Mallard 60. Pochard 20( 8 fems). Tufted 12. Coot 110 . Water rail ( north Moors).
Curlew 10.
BHG 70. Herring gull 5. LBBG.
Stock dove 8. Green woodpecker. Kingfisher.
Very few passerines.

SAILING POOL
GCG 6. Tufted 20. Coot 55!! Kingfisher

FLASHES
Teal 20. Mallard 45. Shelduck from MOORS to roost. Greylag 39
Lapwing 590. Snipe 14. Green sand.
BHG 53 roosting.
Kestrel fem. Raven. Rook 2.
BARN OWL. flew past hide at 4.25. Then returned soon afterwards and hunted close by before preaching on post in southern meadow . After 5 minutes flew off towards the barn at Sagebury Farm.

BARN OWL. flew past hide at 4.25. Then returned soon afterwards and hunted close by before preaching on post in southern meadow . After 5 minutes flew off towards the barn at Sagebury Farm.

Are owl classified as birds of pray? 8-P

Wholly unconfirmed (and probably incorrect) report of a Bean Goose species at the Moors Pool on the 30th October as per the log book.

Dave J reports from the Moors Pool:

Whooper Swan (which flew off at 08.31 and had not returned by 09:43), 2 Little Egret, 22 Pochard, 3 Gadwall, Meadow Pipit, 10 Curlew, second winter Common Gull

Last edited:
From the Flashes Dave J reports:

400+ Lapwing, 30+ Linnet, Snipe, 2 Cetti's Warbler. Also Little Egret on Sailing Pool.

A Bewick's Swan at Marsh Lane would be a very welcome visitor if it ventured south-west

My sightings from earlier today are as follows:

Whooper Swan, Shelduck, Mallard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Teal, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Sparrowhawk, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Great Crested Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Snipe, Curlew, Lapwing, Black-Headed Gull, Lesser Black-Backed Gull, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Blackbird, Redwing, Green Woodpecker, Robin, Dunnock, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, Starling, Pied Wagtail, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Chris

Work party this coming Tuesday

Just to remind everyone that the car park will be closed from first light till 9.15ish. This is so Paul can strim the periphery and clear the encroaching bramble. So not to damage any cars we will close the car park .
Work party crew if you can arrive from 9.15 We should be ready for the work.
Work will include:-
Burning brash in Secret Garden ready for the heavy strim in early spring.
Repairing the screening fence panels by East hide.
Dead hedging along the North Moors trail...using half round posts and brash from any pollarding.
Hedge laying along the west track.
Plant more juncus in front of the New Hide at North Moors.
If time allows we will replace the broken stock fencing posts in the SW marsh.
John:t:

Phil W reports from the Moors Pool this morning:

Whooper Swan still but no Mute Swans!, 4 Wigeon, 1 Shelduck, 40 Teal, 10 Curlew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back