• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How much FOV do you like? (1 Viewer)

FOV such as 120m/1000m are ratios.
The ratio must be maintained when converting from meters to yards.

Simple measurement: 120m = 131.23yds = 393.7ft

BUT, the FOV ratio conversions are:

120m/1000m = 120yds/1000yds

Here's another example of proper conversion...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480755-USA/Zeiss_52_32_31_10x32_Victory_T_FL.html
See Specs

Very good! :t: And since a yard is 3 ft, conversion between imperial and metric FOV specifications is as simple as multiplying or dividing with 3.
A 390 ft/1000 yds FOV corresponds to a 130 m/1000 m, since 390/3 = 130.

//L

I agree but I also think the tunnel like view 370ft@ 1000 yard at 8x gives you can just be unappealing to some people including me regardless of the habitat. Give me 400ft@ 1000 yard at 8x or better and I am a happy camper.

My Leica HD 8X42 has a FOV of approx 372ft at 1000yds. No way would I eliminate that binocular based on FOV alone. It's a great binocular and one of my favorites. I can think of too many nice binoculars in the same boat too....Vanguard Endeavor ED II and IV, Tract Toric, Swarovski Companion, etc, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 23
My Leica HD 8X42 has a FOV of approx 372ft at 1000yds. No way would I eliminate that binocular based on FOV alone. It's a great binocular and one of my favorites. I can think of too many nice binoculars in the same boat too....Vanguard Endeavor ED II and IV, Tract Toric, Swarovski Companion, etc, etc.

Exactly Chuck, and in a reverse but similar way of thinking, SF 8x42's stunning fov of 148m or 444ft doesn't automatically make it the best at everything.

Lee

At least 57-60 AFOV for me

315 ft/1000 yard for 10x
370 ft/1000 yard for 8x

Anything less than 50 afov is not worth the view for me personally. It's tunnel vision.

Chuck. Nice pictures. I like your pictures. You do not feel the 372 foot FOV of the Leica HD 8x42 is restrictive in any way? When I get down to 370 feet I start feeling like I might be missing something.

Last edited:
Exactly Chuck, and in a reverse but similar way of thinking, SF 8x42's stunning fov of 148m or 444ft doesn't automatically make it the best at everything.

Lee
Lee. I haven't looked through an 8x42 SF in awhile. Is the FOV sharp to the edge with no distortion? How about color? That is an impressively large FOV for an 8x.

Chuck. Nice pictures. I like your pictures. You do not feel the 372 foot FOV of the Leica HD 8x42 is restrictive in any way? When I get down to 370 feet I start feeling like I might be missing something.

Thanks.....not at all. FOV...at one time I honestly thought I could put a "number" on what the FOV needed to be. I've had too many binoculars prove me wrong. I'll also admit there have been instances where the extra FOV did come in handy. In most cases through it seems to me 370ft or so is plenty.

Lee. I haven't looked through an 8x42 SF in awhile. Is the FOV sharp to the edge with no distortion? How about color? That is an impressively large FOV for an 8x.

We've had this discussion many times Dennis. Sharp edges are not a priority for me but SF is plenty sharp enough for me to notice something present at the edge and tell whether it is for example a seal or an otter so that I can then centre the binos on it. Colour is neutral and the white sands of the Hebrides, the white limestone causses of the French Languedoc and the white snow out of our windows this last week have all been white.

However this is drifting away from field of view which is the thread topic. SF is my weapon of choice in many habitats but as you know I favour Conquest HD in some habitats and HT in others. Sometimes fov is the deciding factor other times other factors are more important.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back