• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Baikal in December 2006 (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
since I've had the opportunity within a project I'm working on to travel next late November/early December to Ulan Ude (80km from the south-eastern shore of Lake Baikal), I'm trying to plan at least one day off to dedicate to birdwatching.
I've read of a couple of interesting nature reserves on the lake and I'd like to receive some info/advice in order to be able to organize my trip ... I know that this area is an important North Asia key point of migration routes, but since my spare time will be limited, I'd like to be able to visit at least one spot not too far from Ulan Ude (the capital city). I was thinking about the Selenga River Delta ... but I don't know whether during winter time that's most suitable and feasible
Any advice on trip-planning, birdwatching, photographic equipment (also books, guides, tips, weblinks etc) will be very welcome, thank you very much
Max

I never was there, but I had some contacts with people from Ulan Ude with a book project (birds of siberia in russian) which meanwhile unfortunately died. As you are going to Siberia december will not be the best time for birding. The lake Baikal and the Selenga will be frozen and all migrating birds will be in the warm of South Asia.
Perhaps someone of the university of Ulan Ude may help you, I don't have an adress, but you should find them on the net.

André

Thank you Andrè very much, I still hope to find some birds around (raptors perhaps) ... I'll try to get in touch with people at the University
Cheers,
Max

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back