• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites in the East Midlands (1 Viewer)

Carless

Where would be the best place to see Red Kites in the East Midlands, particularly around Leicester?

Last edited:
If you are looking for Red Kites in Leicestershire, you could try Rutland Water or Eyebrook Reservoir.
At Rutland Water the best place to see Red Kites is the north arm section to view Burley Woods on the opposite side of the reservoir. There are usually one or two around for most of the day.
At Eyebrook Res Red Kites are usually seen at the inflow end or in the surrounding area over the nearby woods.
Hope this helps?
Cheers,
Dave.http://davidearlgray.blogspot.com

hi
coming back on the A1 to nottingham near RAF Wittering saw a definite kite on the right over a field and then a possable on the left side a little further up

Tend to see Red Kites fairly regularly over the A1 between Peterborough and Stamford, but that's of limited use as you can't really stop. The other week we had fantastic views of a bird flying low over Kirby Hall in Northamptonshire, then we saw a couple more as we drove up to the Forestry Commision/RSPB place at Fineshade Wood, so that seems a good sort of area. Around Oakham and Rutland Water have seen a few.

I am from Grantham, Lincolnshire. The other day I was just a few mile south of Grantham, near a small village called Buckminster, near Colsterworth, just of the A1. On the outskirts of Buckminster, is a tip in a small valley. I counted at least 10 Kites. It was a great site to see. We get the odd one fly over Grantham, and I have seen a pair over Belton estate before, but nothing like this.

Red Kites

Come on over to our place. We live just south of Rutland Water, very close
to the Lyndon Reserve. We see them ALL the time over the house and our
paddocks. No matter how many times we see them, it is always a thrill!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back