• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (1 Viewer)

I saw my first redwing of the year (well at least since March) as it flew over my house. I thought I saw some several weeks ago, but the view was too fleeting to be sure.

Lochwinnoch had a great crested grebe showing really well, and a goldeneye, a couple of snipe flew up and a group of 30 lapwings flew over. 50+ mute swans on Barr Loch, and similar numbers of tufted duck on both Barr Loch and Aird Meadow, with a couple of wigeon too.

Reports of a hen harrier, but this must have been when I was over at Barr Loch.

Sorry for the late reply.

I was at Hoggenfield loch Saturday 6th of October in the afternoon.
I had the male Ruddy duck near the island, also 10 Gadwall, 12 Goosander and 4 Pochard.
Also the 6 whoopers (2 adult and 4 juv) where present. (nice to see that many juvs in the family)

5 Male Ruddy duck and 1 Shoveler at Garqueen Loch.

Bishop Loch had 2 juv Scaup present! also 40 Wigeon, 3 Pochard, 9 Gadwall.

Cheers,
Rik

Lochwinnoch

I was at Lochwinnoch on Sunday and seen the stunning Male Hen Harrier.

Attachments

• IMG_9987.jpg
    IMG_9987.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
lochwinnoch

went yesterday and pleased to see access to barrloch is a whole lot easier since the building of the path...

saw male golden eye, goosander male and 2 female a GCGrebe and about 40 tufty ducks.

soome mentioned a goldcrest on the Dubbs trail but we didn;t see it. Saturday afternoon not the best time to go to lochwinnoch but it was good to see a lot of families there enjoying getting to know nature

Last edited:
Today was a beautiful Autumnal day

went down to Hunterston and watched the tide and hundreds of waders come onto the mud flat lapwings wimbrel curlews redshank oystercatchers dunlin as well as shell ducks mute swans hoodies many gulls blackheadedand a flock of small waders which were over near the coal terminal, these were spooked i guess by a sparrow hawk but didn;t spot it.

later i was at Ardeer and saw turnstones redshanks oyster catchers eider ducks many gulls and a rasorbill in the water.

there was also a flock of about 50 Ringed Plovers Sanderling dunlin and golden plovers spooked this time by a microlight who decided to buzz the beach......

still a great day and rounded off by the garden birds using our feeders as we ate our tea.:king:

Last edited:
Barons Haugh yesterday and it was a glorious day. Saw around 20 whooper swans

At Carbarns pool saw what I thought were green sandpipers. There would have been around 20 of them. Unfortunately they were quite a distance away from me and being a complete novice cannot be sure. Would it likely be green sandpipers or something similar

At Carbarns pool saw what I thought were green sandpipers. There would have been around 20 of them. Unfortunately they were quite a distance away from me and being a complete novice cannot be sure. Would it likely be green sandpipers or something similar

20 would be a very high count, but can't think what else they might be. There is a sizeable flock of Curlew around, but quite different to Green Sandpiper.

had a look at some photos of both birds and could be curlew. I did not think that the ones I saw had large curved beaks, although some photos of curlew i have looked at also do not appear to have large curved beaks.

Ardeer

quick trip out today at the beach park in Ardeer, tide coming in and lovely coolection of assoted waders and gulls

100+ G Ringed Plovers, 12 or so Redshank, similar number of Turnstones about 40 Sanderlings and 20 or so Dunlin got quite close and they were all close together neer to where the stream comes onto the beach.

Oh and a hoodie crow may be the same one which has been stalking me;)

This morning a nice short watch from Largs/Noddsdale provided me:

26-28 Waxwings shortly present in the trees!

A record for me of 6 Med gulls present during low tide. 4 Adult winter and 2 2nd winter. Another birder discovered a 5 Adult winter Med gull so a total there of 7 Med gulls!

Fairlie had: 5 Greenshanks and 3 Barr tailed Godwitt.

It could be that I saw you alunited! I was there on Sunday at Ardeer around high tide aprox 2-2.30pm. I saw aprox 100 Dunlins, 140 Ringed plover and 60 Sanderlings. From stevenston point 10 common scoter and 5 red tr Divers.

From Saltcoats a group of 19 Purple Sandpipers

And Bogside had: 1 Short eared owl, 2 Gadwall en 3 Shoveler.

quick trip out today at the beach park in Ardeer, tide coming in and lovely coolection of assoted waders and gulls

100+ G Ringed Plovers, 12 or so Redshank, similar number of Turnstones about 40 Sanderlings and 20 or so Dunlin got quite close and they were all close together neer to where the stream comes onto the beach.

Oh and a hoodie crow may be the same one which has been stalking me;)

Last edited:
maybe just after i left

i was at the point but didn't see much but a raft of eider ducks, went down to the beach and across the footbridge, just before high tide i guess.

Are there any sightings of Waxwings in Glasgow area? There are some sightings of Waxwings in Ayrshire but I didn't heard anything about sightings in Glasgow area.

thanks in advance,
Rik

Are there any sightings of Waxwings in Glasgow area? There are some sightings of Waxwings in Ayrshire but I didn't heard anything about sightings in Glasgow area.

thanks in advance,
Rik

On the 4th, 6th and 8th, Waxwings have been reported via BirdTrack in the Strathclyde Uni area, in the OS square centred on John St. I have been out most lunchtimes this week looking but with no joy.

I also received an email via the Clyde Yahoo group of 3 Waxwings at George Cross on Wednesday and also at Jordanhill on Thursday. I couldn't get to either site in daylight.

The search goes on...

This is when you really miss Clydebirds.co.uk! It always was great for this kind of info. I've beenkeping an eye open at the couple of local places they've been in the past without success. I hope they don't bypass us!

This is when you really miss Clydebirds.co.uk! It always was great for this kind of info. I've beenkeping an eye open at the couple of local places they've been in the past without success. I hope they don't bypass us!

I noticed there has been no updates on there since the end of August. Updates had become less frequent and I really do miss it.

Just found this on BirdGuides: 17:52 09/11/12 Waxwing Clyde Glasgow

They're there somewhere!

Last edited:

I used to keep an eye on that regularly too. Any idea why it's no longer updated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back