• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (3 Viewers)

Yes, I noticed that too. But this bird is not a 'juvenile' or at least not in it's first calender year. The problem I've found is that it's easy to find pictures of hybrid males in breeding plumage of say, BWT x Shoveler or BWT x Cinnamon in breeding plumage but finding pics of hybrids of either males in eclipse or females is much more difficult. It may be in the end that we will never know the true identity of this bird.

Brian

It's certainly confusing! Shame nobody got a feather I could have done the DNA analysis for you at work and give you a definite answer.

Mike

It's certainly confusing! Shame nobody got a feather I could have done the DNA analysis for you at work and give you a definite answer.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Next time we get an anas controversia we'll do our best to get that feather :t:

Just received a text to say to no sign of said duck at Camp Lane Pits this afternoon. There also was no sign yesterday afternoon.

Brian

Autumn All-dayer

Just a little reminder that the West Midlands Autumn All-Day Birdwatch is next Saturday (6th September); hope Grimley can join in as it did in the Spring :t:

Are Grimley taking part?

If so then I will be able to get involved. My intention is to get to grimley quite early.

Yes, Grimley will be taking part. Ed will be coordinating sightings at CLP and some of the locals have said they'll be down. I'll make a pre and post work visit and will update on here during the day. I guess Middleton has it sewn up but it would be good if we could come a respectable second/third. With Clifton's autumn run of quality waders, if they were taking part they would stand a good chance of topping the Worcs rankings.

Brian

Brian / Laurie - have you got the "close of play" run-down so I can add to the comparison of other sites participating? B :)

Just read an email from Rob Clipson to say he had a female Pheasant at Holt so that brings us up to 86. I don't as yet have a complete list of the species recorded as Ed was maintaining that.

Considering passage was so poor with only Spotted Flycatcher, 2 Whinchats and a Wheatear to show for the whole day it's a pity we didn't score higher.

Plenty of good birds elsewhere in the county on the day with Temminck's Stint, Curlew Sandpiper, Marsh Harrier, Ruff and 2 Greenshanks but we couldn't even muster a Dunlin! Just shows that even holding these all-dayers at 'peak' migration times it's still very hit and miss as to what can be seen on a particular day.

Brian

Still no list lads? :-C

Ed will be emailing the list over but I guess he's been out for the day and I've been out enjoying the wader fest at Clifton :t: I'm away for a week from tomorrow so won't be online but could probably work it out but haven't really got the time. I think Ed is signed up to Birdforum so he may well post it directly.

Brian

Ed will be emailing the list over but I guess he's been out for the day and I've been out enjoying the wader fest at Clifton :t: I'm away for a week from tomorrow so won't be online but could probably work it out but haven't really got the time. I think Ed is signed up to Birdforum so he may well post it directly.

Brian

Cheers Brian :t: I've got a comparison spreadsheet for the five sites ready to be posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back