• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snipe in Hokkaido, Japan (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I noticed 3 snipe on a little marsh in south Hokkaido, Japan this afternoon.

Lathams Snipe are the breeding snipe species here but are quite pale, tese ones look much more rufous.............also Lathams Snipe prefer grasslands not wetlands.

They could be Common/Swinhoes/Pin Tailed.

I have no idea, any pointers/opinions would be gratefully received.

Lousy photos, I know. 100% crops...........

Attachments

• _MG_3685.jpg
    _MG_3685.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 53
  • _MG_3690.jpg
    _MG_3690.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 84
  • _MG_4463.jpg
    _MG_4463.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 70
Don't take this answer for the correct one, I'm certainly not an expert on the subject (I know nothing about Lathams Snipe...). But I think most visible characters in the photos, like bill length (long), tail length (long), the golden "bands" on the back (strong), the shape of the eyebrow (not that bulging) all are good pointers in the direction of Common Snipe - and away from Pin-tailed and Swinhoes. It would be very interesting to hear comments from those of you who know your snipes!
Joakim

They are indeed Common Snipe, note the broad scapular fringes (outer edge only) and checkerplate contrasting covert tips also.

Broad pale outer margins to the lower scapulars rule out Pintail ( the margins are far more equal in width in Pintail ). The lack of contrast between the base colour of the greater coverts and the rest of the wing is also one more thing that points away from Pintail and towards Swinhoes / Common. The loral line is far to broad / even in width for "Swintail" so, Common.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers everyone, at least I was right when I thought it wasn't a Lathams Snipe..............

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back