• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird info help please (1 Viewer)

den9112

Hi, could someone please help me ID a bird for me and help me on why it should be were i spotted it,i am a keen wildlife phpotographer and i will be honest i can only ID the most common birds,but i love taking pics of any bird ,i am a member of the RSPB and WWT so i am still learning,however yesterday while walking my dog i spotted what looked like a bird of prey right next door to were in some land just off the main road,i got a pic but not a good one as it was misty and wet and i only had a 18-55mm lens available at the time ,my 100-400mm is in for repair (sods law) it seemed to be strugling taking off and it did look wet through , it did manage to fly up on a fence a few hundred feet from were i spotted it and the sight afterwards was something i have never seen before ,thier must have been , and i am not exagerating over a hundred crows and magpies that just apeared and some were diving down as though to attack ,one magpie even landed and sat a couple of feet from the bird,the bird just sat thier ,the most we get were i live is owls and kestrels , i am not sure what hapened to the bird as i disapeared in to a gully and landed , and i had to get back to work.Any info on why it would be here or a ID would be really apreciated .Thanks
007 by den9112, on Flickr

I have lived here over 10 years and i have never seen a buzzard ,could it have got lost .

you've actually got quite a rare bird from Scandinavia there- just a few tens of R-l Buzzards make it to the UK most recent winters: only three or four records from the UK so far this autumn, so far as I have noticed

so its not lost, but its pretty unusual

whether it survives depends on whether it gets lucky and finds somewhere with plenty of voles and whether its hunting skills are up to it

I should add that, if this is the first buzzard you have seen in ten years and its a Roughleg, you should also check your lottery tickets..

Last edited:
Before i went home for my camera , i actually got to within 20ft of it .its a pity i didn't have my 100-400 to hand as i would have got some clear shots.Really pleased i got to within touching distance of a rare bird to be seen over here.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back