• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best tripod carrier and tripod/head combo? (1 Viewer)

ricor29

Hi,

Got a new scope (regal 80 f-ed which is great) and thought at the time I would just use my old tripod but it is so cheap that the head on it means my new scope, which is heavier, just wibbles and wobbles all over the place :-C

Therefore thinking of getting something like a mulepack/podtrek and a swanky new tripod+head. I can't get to see any in person though so was rather hoping to draw on the advice here.

Basically I want the best world possible of a light tripod but complete confidence that the scope won't fall off the tripod when its on my back ;) . I don't mind paying for this but will get in trouble with the wife if too much :C (> 200 pounds ish)

In one of the earlier threads people mentioned the Velbon Sherpa 200R with PH157Q head. Can anybody confirm that the head very securely attaches to the scope - my current cheap tripod head fails miserably here in that it is just a flimsy bit of plastic and a good shake and it would come apart. As it mentions a quick release plate in the info of the Velbon Sherpa I'm not sure if it will be the same type of setup. If I'm going to carry my new scope on my back then I want to be certain it isn't going to go crashing to the ground!

Any other recommendations (The Opticron 42636 Traveller Tripod with a Manfrotto 701HDV panhead seemed like another option but that was mainly going on the low weight)? Has anybody ever tried hooking these up to something like the mulepack?

Thanks - (I know this is my first post but these forums have been a great source of info for a long time even though I've just lurked in the background!)

I spent about 15 minutes writing a response on the pan head. Then I realized that the Celestron mounts differently than my scope requiring a different head than mine. SO....I can recommend the Manfrotto name. I have a 3130 micro fluid pan head that has never dropped my scope. It not flimsy, has a double locking mechanism and has served me well. I also recommend the carbon fiber tripods for the weight factor. My particular tripod is a Manfrotto 190CXV3. The head has never come loose from the tripod once locked into place.

Our version of the Mulepack is the Tri-Pak. The two products are almost identical. The Tri-Pak does not have the detachable day pack. That is a feature I would not use. I have carried my scope on my back many times - you just have to be aware of low hanging limbs.

Thanks Argon,

I think I will probably go along with a Manfrotto head as they always seem to get a good write up. Will definitely go with a fibre carbon tripod probably opticron unless anybody shouts out for something better - as you say weight is just so good with carbon fibre.

I'll keep an eye out for those low hanging branches - hadn't considered that a problem till now!

I use the Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head which I find to be very good and a friend has the Manfrotto 128 RC2 which is also good.
As to tripods - have a look at this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triopo-GX...K_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item25641b1ae9&_uhb=1
I have compared this tripod against my Gitzo GM2531, no it is not quite as good but I would rate it as better than the Manfrotto 190 Carbon and less than a quarter than the price of the Gitzo! A friend of mine has had the Triopo for about 3 years and it works very well, and far from shabby when compared to the Gitzo!

Correction!
The link I gave (for the tripod) is incorrect. This link is for the slightly lighter version. The model my friend uses is the 1227 (leg thickness is the same as Gitzo 2 series).
The 1127 should still be fine but obviously slightly less rigid.
Sorry - my bad!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back