• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeds perhaps? Queensland (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Up in the Bunya Mountains we spotted these three, together like this lying on the road.

I really can't think what they can be. I originally put it in the Bird ID, as I thought it was feathers. However, with Niels thoughts that they are seeds, I've now moved it here.

The first picture shows the group; the second one is the middle item closer cropped.

Any ideas what they are?

Attachments

• DSCN7604 for ID.jpg
    DSCN7604 for ID.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN7604 for ID cropped.jpg
    DSCN7604 for ID cropped.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 36
OMG!!! I never thought of that Niels, I was o sure it was feathers LOL. I didn't pick them up though, just photographed them in situ.

Mmmm... better move this thread to the Plant forum then!

Looks like they are entire seed heads rather than individual seeds. The tiny seeds seem to be at the outer end of the parachutes (opposite to a dandelion). Some kind of Aus Cotton Bush species perhaps? Would need local knowledge there!

Thanks Pianoman.

I've found a species list for the Bunya Mountains park and it has Black Cotton Bush (Senecio quadridentatus) on it. But I'm unable to find a close enough picture (for my eyes) of the seed head.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back