• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador birding (1 Viewer)

jeffworman

1) I have 4 days of birding in Guayaquil, Ecuador before leaving for the Galapagos. I will have a guide for a full day’s birding in Churute, but I’m wondering if there are other areas in or near Guayaquil that I could have some success birding without a guide. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.
2) I have the Ridgely/Greenfield Birds of Ecuador Field Guide, but it is huge. Has anyone successfully removed and bound the plates for easier field use? If so, how did you do it?
3) Is there a good Ecuador Field guide available for download on a tablet that you’ve found to be highly useful?
Thanks in advance for any help I can get on these questions! Jeff Worman

The other nearby birding site that comes to mind is Cerro Blanco, just W of the city. Easily reached with a hire car or taxi and no guide needed, though I don't know opening hours off the top of my head, sorry!

I know that Isla Santay (more or less right in town) has a pretty good bird list but I've not been and don't know how accessible it is.

You might have a look at:

https://ebird.org/hotspots

and browse to the Guayaquil area for help identifying sites. Figuring out access to those sites is a different matter or course!

Cheers and good luck,
Josh

The other nearby birding site that comes to mind is Cerro Blanco, just W of the city. Easily reached with a hire car or taxi and no guide needed, though I don't know opening hours off the top of my head, sorry!

I know that Isla Santay (more or less right in town) has a pretty good bird list but I've not been and don't know how accessible it is.

You might have a look at:

https://ebird.org/hotspots

and browse to the Guayaquil area for help identifying sites. Figuring out access to those sites is a different matter or course!

Cheers and good luck,
Josh

Thanks for the helpful info, Josh! - - - Jeff

Buenaventura is half a day driving away, and once you are there no guide needed. I would recommend staying there overnight.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back