• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 or 10x43 (1 Viewer)

shpong

Hi,
After much research and discussion as to what scope and eyepiece to choose, Opticron ES80 with a SDLv2 eyepiece, I'm now looking for a good pair of binoculars.

The scope has been put on a back burner until I have enough saved, but in the meantime, I have around £350 put aside for some binoculars.

Which handily falls in with the Frontier ED bins.

Has anyone had any experience with these. They seem to have a very good review. Or more to the point, any reason why I shouldn't buy them!

Many thanks
;0)

I have or have had every variant of the Hawke ED's. My preference is for the 10 X 43 but I have a very steady hand and love to visit estuaries rather than reserves so distance is normally greater. The image clarity is what does it for me and yes, I have put them aside many alpha's for comparison. You will not be dissapointed especially at the prices they go for. Warranty back-up/customer service is very good although I only had to use it once (straps). Hope this helps.

thanks Veracocha,
I had the chance to try them yesterday, and was very impressed, but another coin has been thrown in the ring..

Opticron 10x42 iMagic BGA SE

A little bit more, but seem to be very highly regarded. Talking to SWOptics, they are one of their best sellers and have the edge on the Hawke..

Any thoughts???

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

When I tried out a bunch of reasonably priced 10x earlier this year I thought the Imagic BGA SE came out top. Really liked the contrast, colour and the relaxed view, but I did have one reservation. It was not as sharp optically as some of the others including the cheaper Verano. This might have been an atypical pair, but it's probably worth a detailed look. I'm pretty sure I tried the regular Frontier, but I've not had a chance to look at the ED.

David

Having done a load more digging around, it seems the Opticron 8x42 BGA SE's are favourable.. Especially as I'm going to pair it up with the ES80 ED80 scope.

Has anyone tried them? Or own them for that matter;0)

Having done a load more digging around, it seems the Opticron 8x42 BGA SE's are favourable.. Especially as I'm going to pair it up with the ES80 ED80 scope.

Has anyone tried them? Or own them for that matter;0)

Buying Bins/scopes is very much about individual choice. Clearly you have ideas re models and a budget to work to.

Look in the birding mags re optics events. Go and try various models out - then make your own mind up using your eyes as a guide!!

All the models you have listed will do the job.

It's always nice to have that bit of reassurance though, and from peoples experiences.
I was able to draw up the short list at the optics day at Essex Wildlife Trusts Abberton visitor centre yesterday.

Problem is after an extended time of comparing, I think any noticeable difference is lost.
There's also pros and cons of both 8x42 & 10x42.

On their own, I think I would opt for the 10x42, but as I will also be using a scope as well, I think an 8x42 with a greater fov will be beneficial, using the scope to zoom in for more detail.

Or more to the point, any reason why I shouldn't buy them!
Many thanks
;0)

Hi
IMHO you owe it to yourself to try out the Canon10x30IS bins at your local Jessops. If your Jessops is like the one in Lowestoft they are on permanent display and you can pick up and play with them.

I'm coming from using a Nikon 8x32SE and 8x32HG and I have to say that I can see more actual detail with the Canon's. OK so the Canons are 10x mag. but even compared to the other 10x's bins on display at jessops I could still see so much more detail with IS engaged.

I know they are not waterproof and for me I will always have a waterproof roof on hand but I still think if I was on your budget and could only get one pair of bins I would get the Canons, and look after them in the rain.

Ok. After much deliberation and some very sound advice from the London Wetland Centre today, a pair of Opticron 8x42 iMagic BGA SE's ordered.
Happy days!

Ok. After much deliberation and some very sound advice from the London Wetland Centre today, a pair of Opticron 8x42 iMagic BGA SE's ordered.
Happy days!

Good choice -:t: I have a par of the 8x32s and they are excellent value for the money. You should get many years of happy service from them.

paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back