• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grouse Anyone (1 Viewer)

The sniper

Hi there.
We are travelling up to the Farnes on Friday and should be arriving around 2-3pm Friday Afternoon.We are not booked on a trip until Saturday so will be looking for places to bird the local (ish) area,we have wheels and can travel.
We are particularly looking for moorland species (well i am lol) and was wondering if there were any good places for grouse,dotterel etc either on the way up,even in yorkshire,durham etc or preferably in northumberland
Also is there any places which are good for dipper locally as its a bird (coming from the Essex area) which we just don't get.Many thanks in advance for any info.

Hi there.
We are travelling up to the Farnes on Friday and should be arriving around 2-3pm Friday Afternoon.We are not booked on a trip until Saturday so will be looking for places to bird the local (ish) area,we have wheels and can travel.
We are particularly looking for moorland species (well i am lol) and was wondering if there were any good places for grouse,dotterel etc either on the way up,even in yorkshire,durham etc or preferably in northumberland
Also is there any places which are good for dipper locally as its a bird (coming from the Essex area) which we just don't get.Many thanks in advance for any info.

Hi

It slightly depends which way you're travelling up but you can cut across from Scotch Corner to Barnard Castle and travel up through the North Pennines AONB. You could go through Teesdale and get the Black Grouse on the Langdon Beck - St John's Chapel road, and red grouse are everywhere further up this road on the moors.This is a great area for breeding waders (I saw some golden plover chicks on the way to work this morning) and there are snipe, lapwing, curlew, redshank, golden plover and oystercatcher all over the place.There's a good roadside ring ouzel site (not guaranteed, but reasonably reliable, though it's a slight detour from the black grouse).

You could go from there to Muggleswick woods and get wood warbler, pied fly and redstart.

PM me if you like and I'll send you an email with some more details, routes, etc.

Chris

Hi there.

I meant to mention dipper too. Downstream of Low Force, on the way to the black grouse, is quite reliable and a short hop from the road.

Hi there.

Try Harthope Valley, which is just south west of Wooler. Three weeks ago we got Red Grouse, Ring Ouzel and plenty of tweets. If you look at Northumberland on this forum you will see that others have recently had Redstart and Dipper.

If you are feeling fit, from Harthope valley you could climb Cheviot for a chance of Dotterel near the top. You also get Black Grouse around there although I have never seen any despite many visits.

Hi

It slightly depends which way you're travelling up but you can cut across from Scotch Corner to Barnard Castle and travel up through the North Pennines AONB. You could go through Teesdale and get the Black Grouse on the Langdon Beck - St John's Chapel road, and red grouse are everywhere further up this road on the moors.This is a great area for breeding waders (I saw some golden plover chicks on the way to work this morning) and there are snipe, lapwing, curlew, redshank, golden plover and oystercatcher all over the place.There's a good roadside ring ouzel site (not guaranteed, but reasonably reliable, though it's a slight detour from the black grouse).

You could go from there to Muggleswick woods and get wood warbler, pied fly and redstart.

PM me if you like and I'll send you an email with some more details, routes, etc.

Chris

I meant to mention dipper too. Downstream of Low Force, on the way to the black grouse, is quite reliable and a short hop from the road.

ChrisWS, you mention a number of birds I havnt seen,can you send me the PM that you were maybe going to send to the original poster.Cheers

AndyK Sunderland

Ha ha,if it were up to me we would climb the cheviot,its one hill i haven't walked in England.
I did toy with the idea of dissapearing very early saturday morning on my own and giving it a go but after 7/8 hours of driving friday i doubt i will feel like it,especially if i have a couple of beers friday evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back