Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best camcorder for wildlife filming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 3rd September 2011, 15:41   #1
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Best camcorder for wildlife filming

Having recently returned from a trip where we saw fantastic video recordings of jaguar - on a Panasonic camcorder - my wife has decided she's keen on getting one. Rather rashly I've agreed to buy her one. Any thoughts on what to get? I'm willing to pay up to about 700, but it'd be good if it was less!

Cheers

@SteveBabbs
Old Saturday 3rd September 2011, 18:26   #2
Geoff Brown

If your set on Panasonic have a look at the SD90 for around 400 - more or less. It gets good reviews on the camcorder testing sites, and you can attach a 3D filming device as an extra if you feel the need to.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 3rd September 2011, 18:33   #3
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Brown View Post
If your set on Panasonic have a look at the SD90 for around 400 - more or less. It gets good reviews on the camcorder testing sites, and you can attach a 3D filming device as an extra if you feel the need to.
Thanks. I'm not at all set on a Panasonic, I was just very impressed with the results - I may have been equally impressed with the results on another - unfortunately I didn't write down the model number. The owner said it was about 1000 Euros.

@SteveBabbs
Old Monday 5th September 2011, 16:26   #4
Sandpiper
Mike Powell

Steve,

Another vote in favour of the Panasonic SD90 (see the thread below yours). For the price the video quality is excellent but the stills are a little disappointing for scenery but OK for closeups.

Mike
Old Tuesday 6th September 2011, 18:06   #5
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

The sd 90 does look tempting - I'm not at all worried about stills, I'll cover that with my SLR - but the SD900 would appear to produce higher quality films. However it does only have a 12X optical zoom.

@SteveBabbs
Old Tuesday 6th September 2011, 20:45   #6
iveljay

As a rough generalisation, the really high zoom ratios come with the cheaper cameras until you get into the realms of pro cameras with interchangeable lenses. For instance the Panny SDR-S70 gives you 78x but you trade quality. As with all things photographic - its a trade off.

Sony offer 1.7x tele-convertors (screw into the filter mount) for some of their camcorders for a bit of extra reach - not sure if Panasonic do the same. If I am using a convertor I tend to fit it before going out - the threads are fine and I would not want to cross thread them. One of the main reasons for buying Sony over Panasonic was the choice of useful accessories at that time - my Sony set-up uses a tripod with the main controls duplicated on the pan handle which is really useful.

The SD90 is a good place to start and while the better Panasonic cameras such as the SD900 are fitted with triple sensors I'm not sure that you will find it any better for bird use, bearing in mind the zoom. (Amazon do have it at a very attractive price mind you).

Last edited by iveljay : Tuesday 6th September 2011 at 21:28.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: