• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urdaibai Reserve Basque Coiuntry, Spain (1 Viewer)

Loads of Greenshank, Spoonbill Coots, ducks, Pied wagtail and 2 Marsh Harriers so far this morning. Sometimes I curse the camera for not staying still. sometimes I like it for doing a reserve-wide scan. This is a stopping-off spot for Osprey I believe.

Last edited:
Black-winged Stilt has shown up in the last couple of days, with Common sandpiper moving through. Temperatures have veered bewteen 8 and 24 degrees in the daytime. Once it warms up there could be more goodies:

Attachments

• 2016-04-01 Stilt.jpg
    2016-04-01 Stilt.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 273
Currently an Osprey visiting:

Attachments

• 2016-04-26 Osprey.jpg
    2016-04-26 Osprey.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 2016-04-26 Osprey 2.jpg
    2016-04-26 Osprey 2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Strange, The YouTube feed is 'ended', but the link in my first post has a picture, though not a very interesting one at the moment (just trees).

Plenty of birds at the moment at this Reserve. In recent days lots of passage waders (Green Sandpiper
included). Today there seem to be lots of hirundines around, along with the usual herons, egrets and Marsh Harriers. Worth watching because you never know. 5 minutes ago a flock of Turtle Dove streaked across the screen. Unfortunately distances are usually too great to identify the smaller waders, but one gets odd glimpses.

Attachments

• 2016-09-16 Marsh Harrier.jpg
    2016-09-16 Marsh Harrier.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Frustrating glimpse of large-headed looking BOP just now, but rain set in and it disappeared. The white front may be an artefact of the image rather than real (light conditions weren't very good). Green Sandpiper, Redshank and up to 70 Spoonbill seen yesterday & today.

Attachments

• 2016-09-17 Raptor.jpg
    2016-09-17 Raptor.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Spoonbill numbers increasing all the time just now. Probably over 100 at the moment. Others during the last two days included 2 Osprey, Green Sandpiper again and lots of Redshank, Greenshank and Dunlin.

Attachments

• 2016-09-20 Spoonbills.jpg
    2016-09-20 Spoonbills.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Could well be. I've seen a mention of the site on Roy Dennis's pages, but haven't had much time to imvestigate the background.
It's a reintroduction site, certainly.

In case someone visits Bilbao, the place (Urdaibai Bird Center) can be reached by bus, it's roughly a one hour ride.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back