• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tajikistan - a short trip to the Pamirs (1 Viewer)

And then I heard them! Snowcocks singing above. It did not seem too far away so I carried on climbing up the boulder field to get over the next ridge. It sounded like they were just behind that ridge. But they were further up, so up another ridge, and then another. I quite underestimated how far reaching their songs were.

Eventuelly I stood in front of a huge rock wall. I was at about 3500 m now, and the rock wall must have extended to more than 4000 m. Several birds were singing and calling in there, and there were echos all around. (Below a recording with my mobile phone. You need to turn up the sound, but it should give you an idea). That was wonderful, but I wanted to see the damn chickens. I spend about an hour scanning the wall and the crags, but I couldn't find any bird, despite they continued singing.

It was already much later than I intended to be back, so I gave up and turned around. On the way down in the few small bushes around, I found Sulphur-bellied Warblers, the vegetation was only 30 cm tall, but they managed to hide in that, so no pics.

When I reached the point where I saw the Rosefinch, close to the last rock wall before descending down to the village, I heard some loud calling in my back, turned around and saw a snowcock flying across! I saw it landing, got out my scope and even quite distant, I saw it walking around among the rocks there.

I realised now how difficult they are to spot, as the dimensions are just so vast, and even those big birds are almost impossible to spot at that distance if not knowning where exactly they sit. But there I had it in the scope, and it went up on a ridge and started to sing again. And as I watched it, a Wallcreeper was flying through the scope view and I could follow it flying across.

I decided it couldn't get any better and went back down for breakfast. Simply phantastic!

Attachments

• P1360658.JPG
    P1360658.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Hsc ravmed3.m4a
    1 MB · Views: 39
Thanks so much all! Indeed I was very happy, and breakfast was great :) Actually they have quite a interesting breakfast in the Pamirs. It comes in a big bowl, it is strong black tea, mixed with a lot of boiled milk, and its actually salty. To this they add a lot of butter, and then soak bread in it. Its good.

After that, we went down to the valley and back to Khorog, without too many stops. The main stop was back at the LBRW stop, where I tried to get better photos (the second bird above is from this second stop). It was late afternoon and they did not sing much, but there were a lot of birds around.

With this my Pamir excursion was finished. Next day was spent in an old Toyota Landcruiser, the usual transport to this areas, 14 h back to Dushanbe, where more work waited.

In Dushanbe, I had a look at the Botanical Gardens, which are very nice, but were not very birdy when I visited. A Turkestan Great Tit was the only addition to the trip list. But I had one more half day birding trip planned in the sourroundings of Dushanbe.

Just north of Dushanbe there are also beautiful mountains. The Hissar and Fann mountain ranges. Not as spectacular as the Pamirs but still at least as beautiful and impressive as the Alps and certainly more wild (Snow Leopards occur even here). The road that leads north from Dushanbe gives access to some nice mountain valley, and I did two hikes there. This time not purely birding trips but hikes with other people. Not perfect conditions for birding, but I still managed to see stuff.

One hike was in the beautiful Sioma valley, starting about 1h drive north of Dushanbe, while the other was in the small Zimchurud valley, 30 min drive from town.

Attachments

• 20180624_112432.jpg
    20180624_112432.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20180624_105505-001.jpg
    20180624_105505-001.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180627_103303.jpg
    20180627_103303.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
The rivers here had White-throated Dipper (I didn't see any water redstart, plumbeous redstart or little forktail, which also should occur here), Twite, Redfronted Serin and Common Rosefinch were abundant. Indian Golden Oriole again. And of course the cute Yellow-breasted (Azure) Tit, certainly one of my favorites in the region. I could also see well Pied Wheatear here (there is a similarly looking variant of Variable Wheatear, so good views are needed).

But what I was really keen to find were two local specialities which can be found in the old Walnut trees growing along the streems. And on my very last day, in Zimchurud valley, I was successful: The charming Rusty-tailed Flycatcher (several birds well seen) and a single Western Crowned Warbler.

That was it! Wonderful experience and results for effectively 4 days birding. I'll be back for more!

Attachments

• P1360755.JPG
    P1360755.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 82
  • P1370340.JPG
    P1370340.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 84
  • P1370291.JPG
    P1370291.JPG
    363.1 KB · Views: 75
  • P1370022.JPG
    P1370022.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 67
  • P1370089.JPG
    P1370089.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Nice write up Dalat, I've enjoyed following it. Some cracking birds there, never even heard of Rusty-tailed Flycatcher, every day's a school day!

Cheers

Thanks for sharing Florian, it definately put Tajikistan on my 'to-go-to list' ;-) As if the awesome birds are not enough, your photos and descriptions of the landscapes and culture are truly fantastic.

cheers

Jens

"As I was watching a snowcock a Wallcreeper flew through my field of view" - how amazing is that!

Those yellow-breasted Azure Tits are amazingly distinctive - why is it there's never a Dutch geneticist around to split birds when you really need one!

I also very much enjoyed you Dotterel video after watching the RT Flycatcher clip - I'm another who's never heard of it!

Cheers
Mike

Those yellow-breasted Azure Tits are amazingly distinctive - why is it there's never a Dutch geneticist around to split birds when you really need one!

Cheers
Mike

That's probably because - apart from ebird - no authority ever lumped them to begin with.

Maffong

Thanks a lot Jos, Mike, Jens, JWN and all!

"As I was watching a snowcock a Wallcreeper flew through my field of view" - how amazing is that!

Indeed! A brief moment only, but certainly one if not the most amazing birding experiences I had thus far.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Jos, Mike, Jens, JWN and all!

Indeed! A brief moment only, but certainly one if not the most amazing birding experiences I had thus far.

Get to Nepal Florian, Wallcreepers around every corner and both Snowcocks are much easier, scenery isn't that bad either!

Great trip, on my list to do this now along with all the other places, I'll need another couple of lifetimes though.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back