• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper in flight ID - Trinidad (1 Viewer)

bugmat

Hi All

These photos show a mixed flock with 6 hudsonian godwits, a slightly smaller bird (yellowlegs) and one that is smaller than that (at the bottom). I think it's one of two species (both of which have been spotted in this area in recent weeks ) - a pectoral SP or a ruff. Can anyone help to clarify which?

Attachments

• 20181113-_DSC0582-Edit.jpg
    20181113-_DSC0582-Edit.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 68
  • 20181113-_DSC0585-Edit.jpg
    20181113-_DSC0585-Edit.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20181113-_DSC0595-Edit.jpg
    20181113-_DSC0595-Edit.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 49
Should be Pectoral. Ruff should show a broad "U" on the rump/uppertail coverts, which is conclusively ruled out in the third image.

I feel like this is a Pec. I would expect to see much more pronounced white ovals either side of the rump on a Ruff. But that's feel, not know!

It's not a Ruff for sure.

Never seen one, but my guide says those 2 are easily mixed up bar a few markings that could possibly be seen when in flight which weren't clear to me (the guide has no illustrations of them in flight as its a field guide).

Both are "rare" at this time of year - the pectoral because the majority of records end in October (though I've seen 1-2 regularly in this area the past week) and the ruff which is a rare passage migrant, but has been seen at least a few times locally the past 2-3 years around this time.

Never seen one, but my guide says those 2 are easily mixed up bar a few markings that could possibly be seen when in flight which weren't clear to me (the guide has no illustrations of them in flight as its a field guide).

Both are "rare" at this time of year - the pectoral because the majority of records end in October (though I've seen 1-2 regularly in this area the past week) and the ruff which is a rare passage migrant, but has been seen at least a few times locally the past 2-3 years around this time.

One this side of the pond, I've seen thousands of them, and at first sight I exclude it. Not the right shape.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back