• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D died today! (1 Viewer)

I was over the moon today when my new camera and lens arrived. Guess what? it's a Canon 40D. Now I've come across your post Ian, I panicked till I came across Keith's post and then felt a lot better. Thank you Keith. I didn't read the rest of the posts. I think I'll go to bed now.
Jim.

I was over the moon today when my new camera and lens arrived. Guess what? it's a Canon 40D. Now I've come across your post Ian, I panicked till I came across Keith's post and then felt a lot better. Thank you Keith. I didn't read the rest of the posts. I think I'll go to bed now.
Jim.

I really wouldn't worry Jim. Forums tend to be populated by people with problems. I'm certain that there are thousands of happy owners out there who would have no reason to post except to say they are happy with their purchase.

Any purchase always has the slight risk of getting a dud but its a small risk (well maybe not so small with the 1d mkIII, but thats another story ;)), but if you've purchased through genuine suppliers any problem should get resolved.

Paul

What a lovely son. Congratulations Paul.

BTW I agree, that unsatisfied users are dominating everywhere and are not representative of the general opinion.

Well it's back - just a couple of days short of 7 weeks :t:

Looks like they got their finger out and returned it sooner rather than even later!

Now I just need the rain to stop so I can go give it a proper try out! Even at ISO800 and 1/100 sec it seems to manage okay.

To keep things in pespective I started this thread as a real time exercise to see how efficient the Canon repair system is - not to discuss the pros and cons of the 40D or it's overall reliability.

I've no qualms with Canon direct as they were quick and efficient when I first contacted them. The service though from their appoved repairer leaves a lot to be desired - mis-information from the outset regards repair times and then down right lies as to when the camera would be returned to me. In addition any information gleaned has had to be as a result of me contacting them - it would have been simple for them to either telephone or email me with an update as to progress.

Even at the end it's strange that I rang them two days ago only to be told the part would be with them by the end of this week and the camera returned to me by the end of next week - yet it arrived back today!

Overall I'm pleased with the 40D and it is an uprgade from the 20D. It's a little ironic though that I bought the 40D as I was concerned about the occasional shutter malfunction on the 20D - yet after three years heavy use it's still going strong and the 40D only lasted 3 months! Hopefully it will prove to be more relaible now and to be the exception rather than the rule when others reach a similar frame count.

Attachments

• IMG_3192ao.JPG
    IMG_3192ao.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 134
Next time Ian ( ;) ) may I recommend Lehmans Direct in Stoke. When I sent mine off to them to be checked it was back to me within a week, although of course it wasn't anywhere near as big a problem as yours. They seemed quite polite and helpful over the phone too.

I'm glad you've finally got your 40D back, Ian, but shouldn't you have sent it back to WE (where you bought it in Dec 2007)? They are legally obliged to sort it out for you as the dealers who sold it to you in the first place.

If I'd realised there was going to be a problem I'd have contacted them instead.

Certainly in the first 12 months they can be held responsible. First thing I did was check their terms and conditions. If the problem had occurred in the first 30 days they'd have offered a refund/exchange but after that they can opt for a repair. I think they stipulate 28 days to sort things out before deciding. When I checked with Canon and the repairer I figured if it was only going to take 14 days to repair as per what was quoted it would be far quicker - may be not in hindsight though.

Twice died!

Yep! It's gone again - exactly the same problem. The repair only lasted three months before the same problem occurred with the dreaded Err99 refusing to clear. Maybe coincidental that it was after three months use it went the first time.

Anyway it's gone off today for repair - back to the same place unfortunately as last time they omitted to return to me the purchase receipt and another repairer won't accept a warranty repair without the receipt!

Thats bad news Ian,

I hope they turn it round faster this time.

Can't the original vendor supply a replacement purchase receipt? I lost mine for my mkIII and AJ Purdy emailed me a replacement immediately.

Have you thought of asking to have the camera replaced. Again AJ Purdy were great and replaced mine, without quibble, when it went bang the second time.

I had intended to send it to Canon UK for repair but despite them having the warranty records confirming purchase details and confirming it's a warranty repair they would charge me unless they physically see the receipt. They suggested the same to obtain a copy of the receipt from WE or Johnstones but I'd rather not waste time and Johnstones confirmed they'll do it from their records.

I spoke with WE as well but they stated it would only be a repair either through me sending it to them to send to Canon else me sending it to a repairer directly.

Must admit I've always had excellent service from AJ Purdy as well.

In hindsight.

This is really something that should be covered by some type of lemon law. In fairness you should have the choice of a replacement camera or money back.

I have had my 40d in for the same thing within a week of getting it. Canon Canada has become awful in the last few years. This time they told me it was in line for repairs and would commence in 15 business days. In fact they waited that time before ordering the part they knew was needed from day one. It took another 6 days to arrive. It came from the same building,it just took six days to go from one department to another.

I can't remember tha last canon lens or camera body that didn't have to go back in the first few weeks due to a problem.

I understand from Nikon people that things are the same with them

My 40D packed in after only a few weeks and the shutter assembly was replaced. Colchester Camera Repairs were excellent returning in less than a week. I made sure I only sent a copy of the receipt as I have a lurking feeling that I may need it again! I'm sure the focus is fractionally sharper now so the repair may have been a 'good thing'!

I ordered a 40D today. Hopefully it'll be a good one.

I remember when the Nikon D70 came out in 2004/5 and there were all sorts of problems with circuit board failure and blinking green lights/dead cameras in posts all over various forums, and being paranoid that my then recently purchased (Jan '05) one would also play up. It didn't and I never had a problem with it during the couple of years of heavy use it got.

I ordered a 40D today. Hopefully it'll be a good one.

Let us know what you think with the combination 40d + 400 f5.6.
BTW, what was your other camera you used with the 400 f5.6.

I got so used to using the 450d now, I will wait till the 50d comes out.
Who would harzard a guess at the release date of the 50d.

In an earlier thread it was suggested replacement for the 5D would be this autumn and the new 50D would appear next Spring at the earliest.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back