• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

50D Has Canon Got It Right (1 Viewer)

CANONROB

I said that I would not sell my 40D......................Well I have.

I said that I would not be buying the 50D.

I DID!!!!!!!!

And what do I think................WICKED!!!!!!!!

I have had the 10D---20D---40D---and now the 50D and it for me is by far the best camera I have owned, and I never thought I would say that as I liked my 40D a lot.

I went out with my friend who has a 1D MK 111, we shot around 150 shots both using a mixture of 24 105 f4 L IS, 70 200 f4 L IS, and 10 400 L IS, he was gutted to see that the 50D won..........easily.

He is now selling his 1D MK 111 and buying the 50D until the release of the 1D MK 1V.

I had to turn of all the noise reduction and other bits and bobs that Canon sets as default, and the only downside that I found is, the screen is SO GOOD that if you have it set to bright it is a job to tell if the pics are exposed correctly, I have to check the histogram a lot more, you will see what I mean if you buy a 50D, but fantastic for checking if your image is sharp or not.

Have you compared the noise of the 50d with that from the 40D. I have a 40D and a 1d MkIII and find quite significant noise with the 40d at iso 800. By comparison the 1d is virtually noise free at the same iso.

Have you compared the noise of the 50d with that from the 40D. I have a 40D and a 1d MkIII and find quite significant noise with the 40d at iso 800. By comparison the 1d is virtually noise free at the same iso.

Hi Renton

Yes we did just that, and as noise goes the was not any noticeable difference, but the highest I shot was ISO 800, but normally I don't shoot above ISO 400, but as I said I did have turn all the rubbish in Custom Functions OFF, and also in DPP, but I normally do PP in CS3, all the tests we did were from RAW.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 1D MK 111 is a great camera, but the image quality is not in our opinion as good, not to mention the cropping WHICH I MUST SAY IS FANTASTIC, I can say that MK 111 owners will not all be ditching them for 50D's as most people have a reason for having a PRO BODY, but 40 D owners will be thinking of changing for sure.

How I would describe the IQ is, its like having a 5D IQ but with more pixels for cropping, it doesn't get much better than that at the moment, to even be able to compare a 50D to a 5D image quality and have the extra reach.

Don't take my word for it go and try one, but make sure you turn off all those nasty N/R etc etc etc.

Well, if you REALLY want to be blown away with low noise -- TRY THE NIKON D3!

Oops. Just started a thorny digression?

I totaly agree the D3 is fantastic, but out of my price range, I have seen lots of images from a friend, he shoots jets and racing cars and they are stunning, but I will be quite happy for a while with the 50D, you wait till you see some of the images from some of the great wildlife photographers on this site useing the 50D!!!!

I totaly agree the D3 is fantastic, but out of my price range, I have seen lots of images from a friend, he shoots jets and racing cars and they are stunning, but I will be quite happy for a while with the 50D, you wait till you see some of the images from some of the great wildlife photographers on this site useing the 50D!!!!

Great point, Rob ...

A lot of this has to do with "cost-effective" solutions.

Cheers,

Robert / Seattle

The 50 MkII puts almost all to shame right now. I'm a Nikon shooter but when I saw the 50D MkII reviews and image quality of it's 24MP censor I thought to myself, "poor Nikon". While like most Canons it's slower than the Nikons (means nothing to us birders really, only sports shooters), it's about 400 dollars cheaper than the Nikon D700 which had been the top amature camera out there. Rumor has it that Nikon may be releasing the D3x later this year with a 24MP censor. For now however Canon has really got the market with their 50D line.

The 50 MkII puts almost all to shame right now. I'm a Nikon shooter but when I saw the 50D MkII reviews and image quality of it's 24MP censor I thought to myself, "poor Nikon". While like most Canons it's slower than the Nikons (means nothing to us birders really, only sports shooters), it's about 400 dollars cheaper than the Nikon D700 which had been the top amature camera out there. Rumor has it that Nikon may be releasing the D3x later this year with a 24MP censor. For now however Canon has really got the market with their 50D line.
I think you may be getting mixed up between the 5D mkII and the 50D ;)

Interesting thread - I have read reams of posts on other forums about the 50D but none have suggested that the IQ is any better than the 40D. the fact that the 50D's noise and IQ is as good as the 40D is a major achievement IMO given the extra MP's. I am very interested in the 50D mainly for the extra cropability.

CanonRob
are you talking about perched shots here or BIF shots as i find my mk3 better than my 40d for AF tracking ( single point on both camera's)
Rob.

Canonrob...when you say the 50D won easily, what areas did it improve in? Image quality, noise,....? Is there all that much more useable resolution over the 1DIII? I ask as I tested the 20D alongside the 1dII a few years back, and though the 20D had more pixels on the bird, the 1D captured noticeably more detail.

Sounds like you got a goodun there Rob, glad to hear you are so pleased with your new camera. With a lot of grumbling about cameras that you get on t'internet it's really good to hear when people really like one. It's a great time to buy a camera really given just how good they all are now!

When I first read the spec sheet for the 50D I saw little to excite me (compared to my 40D) and the initial list price of £1,200, which many stores were asking, was simply outrageous for the level of improvemnt over the 40D (now available for around £530 with the current Canon rebate). However, the user reviews have been encouraging, especially with respect to AF performance, and I've been monitoring prices closely.

Today I pulled the trigger on a 50D from www.digitalrev.com. I've bought several lenses from their eBay store in Hong Kong and now the price from their UK online store has hit my buy price. I've paid £832 for the 50D body, bundled with a Sandisk Extreme III 8GB card. The price includes VAT and delivery and makes the price for the body alone equivalent to about £795. That price is with a 5% discount for buying with Paypal, valid till the end of October.

Expected delivery date is forecast for 25th October. Fingers crossed :)

Tim you are not going to be dissapointed I received mine this morning and wow am I enjoying myself.
Mario bought mine from warehouse express on Friday he paid £979 with bag and card. We went with them because we have always had great service, plus if anything goes wrong its a UK model so won't have any problems with Canon UK. I did look at the price on Digitalrev but didn't feel safe wondering if it would be coming from Hong Kong.

One of my first photos taken.

Attachments

• Wagtail2110080011.jpg
    Wagtail2110080011.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Canonrob...when you say the 50D won easily, what areas did it improve in? Image quality, noise,....? Is there all that much more useable resolution over the 1DIII? I ask as I tested the 20D alongside the 1dII a few years back, and though the 20D had more pixels on the bird, the 1D captured noticeably more detail.

Hi Robert

As I said before I don't think it is a better camera than the 1 D MK 111, I just think that the pictures look better, probably the MK 111 is better for noise at higher ISO, I don't know because I only shot at ISO 100, 400, & 800 and in my opinion the images where better from the 50D, but also the images from the MK111 were very good, I dare say that there are a lot of things that the MK 111 would do better, with the 50D I have cropped 2/3s of the picture and they are still stunning, and for what I use a camera for the 50D for the price and image quality is a very good buy.

Cheers for the clarification ROB; the 50D is looking more and more tempting.

Yes thanks for that
i may well get one next year for the extra cropabilaty over my mk3 ,i bought the 40d for the 1.6 crop but alass the mp count does not cut it enough but the 50d seems that it would.
Rob.

I went out with my friend who has a 1D MK 111, we shot around 150 shots both using a mixture of 24 105 f4 L IS, 70 200 f4 L IS, and 10 400 L IS, he was gutted to see that the 50D won..........easily.

Tell him to stop dreaming.

Seriously, when you compare those two, it's close. The 50D has a little more reach and resolution, but the difference is quite small. The Mark III, of course, has better AF, viewfinder, speed and controls. So it's horses for courses. Which matters to you more? They are both very fine cameras.

(Oh, and yes, I own both.)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back