• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (1 Viewer)

That's good Rob, you are sure tempting me to have a crack at video on my 7D.
BTW are you using your pod and gimbal head for support? or would a video head be better

Im shooting these vids at home so resting the camera on a Pillow :)
Rob.

Regarding youtube.
im making mp4 videos there around 30 / 40mb then i just upload them takes about 20mins but it is keeping the IQ.
Rob.

The videos are really excellent and show what can be achieved. I notice that invariably a large lens with a TC is being used to get the reach. Has anyone done any video with a 400mm or 300mm with or without a TC?

If I may add that as one may build up a collection of videos consideration should be given to putting in a title page giving the species, date and location and a finish.

By the way what size of memory cards are you using and how much is taken up with a 2 minute videeo shot at 1080p. Some still using 720p I notice better off going to 1080p IMO.

The videos are really excellent and show what can be achieved. I notice that invariably a large lens with a TC is being used to get the reach. Has anyone done any video with a 400mm or 300mm with or without a TC?

If I may add that as one may build up a collection of videos consideration should be given to putting in a title page giving the species, date and location and a finish.

By the way what size of memory cards are you using and how much is taken up with a 2 minute videeo shot at 1080p. Some still using 720p I notice better off going to 1080p IMO.

My Brent Goose video mentioned earlier in the thread was with a 100-400 and I was shooting at about 200mm with the lens resting on my knee (I was sitting on the beach).

That clip (about 30 seconds) came in at 170MB. I have a 16GB card, with a couple of 8GB spares in my pockets/camera bag. I've almost filled the 16GB card a couple of times but as of yet 16GB has been enough.

To be honest the continuous shooting (8fps) fills up my card more than anything, last week I took over 500 images of Eagle BIF shots. I've only shot very short videos so far.......

The Robin video was doen with the 400 f5.6 no tubes.

Can I ask for some help on this subject please. I want to give video a go, have the camera, have the lenses, have the computer (Mac), just have no idea what software to use to get the video from card and edited. Can anyone help please. Thanks.

Phil

Can I ask for some help on this subject please. I want to give video a go, have the camera, have the lenses, have the computer (Mac), just have no idea what software to use to get the video from card and edited. Can anyone help please. Thanks.

Phil

Just download the video to your Mac (you can use the application called Image Capture for this, either via a card reader or via your camera's USB cable) and then edit it with the application called imovie....................

This is a mentally long range video of a Male Merlin. (one of these days Ill get a chance to video something close up! :) )
I would guess the bird was well over 100 yards away so I had to stack the 1.4tc onto the 2x tc to attempt it. But you can see its been affected by environmental conditions. Not heat haze cus it was freezing but something. (Although I was balancing my camera on a headrest so it wasnt the most stable to begin with)

http://www.vimeo.com/8762635

Last edited:
Just download the video to your Mac (you can use the application called Image Capture for this, either via a card reader or via your camera's USB cable) and then edit it with the application called imovie....................

Thank you, will have a go in next few days. Phil

This is a mentally long range video of a Male Merlin. (one of these days Ill get a chance to video something close up! :) )
I would guess the bird was well over 100 yards away so I had to stack the 1.4tc onto the 2x tc to attempt it. But you can see its been affected by environmental conditions. Not heat haze cus it was freezing but something. (Although I was balancing my camera on a headrest so it wasnt the most stable to begin with)

Pete, you mention using stabilisation software. Would you mind telling us what it is?

Some intresting shots comeing in i like the slowed down gulls,.
I had a go at slowing this clip down by about 70% .i spent 4 hours waiteing to get this switching on and off of cause and recharging the battery.
At first sevral landed on this branch then when i put the cam on it they landed everwere else lol then this one helped me out :)
Rob
http://www.youtube.com/user/BirdingRob

Got a slightly closer video yesterday of a Pied Wagtail
I like how he spots the fly midway through and snaffles it up :)

http://www.vimeo.com/8763618

Hollis, Ive used the deshaker plugin for virtual dub. Its all free. Requires a bit of playing about but it works.
Theres also Adobe After Effects and the stabliser in it and you can get a 30day trial of that.

It would be nice if you could give your camera settings.

BTW is there anyway you can extract the exif form a video ?

If you look at your 7D videos through zoom browser ex and click the information you can see the exif.
Mine are mainly done in 1080p 24fps. at 1/50th, iso200 (I have htp enabled) and whatever aperture gives me the correct exposure.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back