• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Prostaff 7S 10x30 - anyone? (1 Viewer)

Apodidae49

Thinking of getting these as my “holiday pair” instead of the little Nikon Sportstar 8x25 that I usually carry. Anyone have a perspective on them born out of actual use? I usually have 8x bins for birding but this time, on the Ria Formosa, there’s a lot of distance viewing so a bit more reach would be nice.

It is one of the basic economy ($200.00 price range) Chinese made binoculars. This one is made to Nikon's specs. It has a below average FOV for a 10x of 315' @1000yqrdw and average eye relief of 15.4mm.

Review the link to it below for more detailed info.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en...0.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

Try it out to determine if it has any obvious problems. If it has none its 10x power it will probably be useful for your pursuits.

Bob

Last edited:
I've owned the 10x25 Sportstar EX and the 10x30 7s briefly. I wear glasses and while the EX was convenient in size it was pretty unpleasant for me to use - quite dim, fiddly eye placement, small eye-relief, a lot of CA.

The 7s in comparison was very comfy to use, easy to get the whole view with glasses and it felt like a large field of view. I returned them as the sweet spot in focus was a bit small for my taste and I've got much more expensive binoculars so I figured they wouldn't get much use. If I just had the 8x Sportstar, I feel these would be an excellent good value second pair. I say give them a go. Make sure you can return them if you don't like them.

I've owned the 10x25 Sportstar EX and the 10x30 7s briefly. I wear glasses and while the EX was convenient in size it was pretty unpleasant for me to use - quite dim, fiddly eye placement, small eye-relief, a lot of CA.

The 7s in comparison was very comfy to use, easy to get the whole view with glasses and it felt like a large field of view. I returned them as the sweet spot in focus was a bit small for my taste and I've got much more expensive binoculars so I figured they wouldn't get much use. If I just had the 8x Sportstar, I feel these would be an excellent good value second pair. I say give them a go. Make sure you can return them if you don't like them.

My main pair are RSPB BG PC 8x42, which I think are good (I might be the only one though) I’ve had the Sportstar 8x25 for 3 years and they’re okay. I wear contacts so eye relief isn’t a problem. I want some bins with larger eye cups for comfort and more reach for estuary birding then my wife can have the Sportstars

I can't speak for the 10x30 Prostaff, but my wife has the 8x30 which, apart from the rather modest field of view is a very nice, easy binocular to use. It's light and handles very well, and to my eyes, with glasses, gives a very neutral, easy to use image with decent sharpness. They're decently built and should stand up to regular use - I have the Monarch 7 8x30 which I use pretty much every day as my "rucksack binocular" which I take to work and use on lunchtime walks, on hikes and rides on my motorbike and they're holding up perfectly after 2 years of solid use. The Prostaff 8 and 10x30 bins share the same body and mechanicals as the x30 Monarchs.

I also own a Nikon Prostaff 7s (8x30) since 2016 as my first "right" binoculars. I use it until today as my main binoculars.

In general I am very satisfied with the binoculars, although it could be a little brighter (probably also due to the small size of the lens) and the sharpness at the edge of the image decreases a little.

But for the price (EUR 140 in 2016) it is perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back