Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

scope/binocular/monocular recommendations

Old Wednesday 6th November 2019, 13:37   #1
painfindinganame

scope/binocular/monocular recommendations

hello to everyone or if this is in the wrong place (as it probably is) anyone
I am an old (ish) birdwatcher looking for a portable scope to replace my damaged hawke binoculars.
I am open to any suggestion as i know little about scopes, monocular's or binoculars (or the lenses) - i would probably go for a used pair of a higher quality (say under 100) rather than an a new one.
I have a pair of 10 x 42 gas filled helios which i love - i suppose I need a small instrument to keep in the glove box or my pocket.
anyway many thanks & sorry if i got it wrong. ~S
Old Wednesday 6th November 2019, 14:05   #2
Mono
Hi!

100 is not a huge budget. If you are after a spotting scope then the Aldi one is by no means wonderful but for 25 with a tripod it is remarkable! It comes and goes from their "middle aisle", you might find one.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/spotting-scope/p/015136294597200

As for binoculars the Kowa YF series is good and pocketable, they do a 6x as well as this 8x

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274067281331

I'm sure others will be along with other recommendations.
Old Wednesday 6th November 2019, 14:34   #3
jring

Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

It might be helpful to do some terminology first to find out what you're actually looking for... A pair of binoculars (short binocular or even bino or bins) is what you had before - two barrels for two eyes - hopefully pointing into the same direction - can be hand-held or for use with a tripod.

A monocular was traditionally often half a pair of binoculars - either as delivered by the maker or created later with a hacksaw from damaged bins. Nowadays there's quite some purpose built monoculars at low magnifications below 5x which are aiming at buyers with impaired vision and some examples at typical binocular magnifications of 8x or 10x for those who want an extra light option or cannot use binoculars. The term monocular usually implies hand-held.

Then there is telescopes or spotting scopes - these terms usually imply that the instrument is used on a tripod and typically at magnifications of 15x or higher which cannot be hand-held well. They often sport replaceable eyepieces which allow the user to choose between different options - typically one or a few different wide-angle fixed magnification ones and a zoom option with adjustable magnification but most of he time not so wide-angle. Also the need for a tripod and head creates extra expense and bulk...

If you plan to get an instrument to replace a broken pair of binoculars, you are probably looking for another pair of binoculars or maybe a monocular. Spotting scopes are most often used in addition to a pair of binoculars for extra reach.

A budget of a hundred quid will make for a challenging search - especially if you really want a spotting scope. And please do not take the Aldi one - it is not worth the trouble...

Joachim
Old Wednesday 6th November 2019, 21:11   #4
painfindinganame

hiya

Ok so revised question I believe then that with a bigger budget & specifically binoculars & compact hr, hd, er type can anyone give me some feedback on the vortex diamondback, fieldtracker, carson, nikon monarch, celestron or stryka s7
i can't afford leica, swarovsky

thanks again
Old Thursday 7th November 2019, 03:59   #5
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfindinganame View Post
hiya

Ok so revised question I believe then that with a bigger budget & specifically binoculars & compact hr, hd, er type can anyone give me some feedback on the vortex diamondback, fieldtracker, carson, nikon monarch, celestron or stryka s7
i can't afford leica, swarovsky

thanks again
Hi,

ok - then this thread should really be in the binocular forum for more feedback - maybe it can be moved by a moderator?

For a compact (but not pocket) pair I would recommend sth like an 8x30...

Joachim
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: