Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

California info

Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 19:00   #1
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2019

California info

Literally just booked a last minute trip to Cali for end of the month....and would like to pick any brains on here as would love to catch up on some species that I missed before,
Am checking eBird rare birds daily for anything interesting but wondering if anyone on here has any sites for OWLS, Le Conte's Thrasher, Lawrence's Goldie, American Dipper, Costa's Hummer, Varied Thrush and a good site for photo op of condors.....or anything else you can suggest!

Cheers, Ads

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 20:38   #2
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2019

Prob add Mountain Quail to that list too......

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 20:41   #3
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Condors I can help you with, BBB, I'll dig out my notebook. Back soon - remind me if I don't come back within 36 hrs.

Where are you planning on going exactly?
Old Wednesday 13th November 2019, 22:56   #4
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2019

No plans at all H....probs heading to Inglewood if Painted Whitestart is still there then out to Palm SPrings for the first night so can find the American LEOs at Coachella SP then...who knows?? Some nice photoable YB Magpies would be nice too

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 16:55   #5
halftwo
Wird Batcher

OK: Yosemite for Mtn.Quail, Big Sur for Condor - had some perched views just near the coast road.

San Simeon to Morro Bay: Elephant Seals & Californian Sea Lions. Morro Bay for Black Oystercatcher, and on a whale watching trip: Flesh-footed Shears & Cassin's Auklets, Marbled Murrelets and a Black-footed Albatross + Blue & Humpback Whales, as well as a number of other marine mammals, inc Sea Otters, though the boat owner said he'd never seen an Albatross before...
Yellow-billed Magpie to the south of Morro Bay, though I didn't note the exact location, on our way south towards LA.
This was in May.
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 19:13   #6
sneil

Yellow-billed Magpie to the south of Morro Bay, though I didn't note the exact location, on our way south towards LA.
This was in May.
[/quote]

Might be Los Alamos Country Park, where they hop around your feet
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 19:34   #7
jch10400

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboybowley View Post
No plans at all H....probs heading to Inglewood if Painted Whitestart is still there then out to Palm SPrings for the first night so can find the American LEOs at Coachella SP then...who knows?? Some nice photoable YB Magpies would be nice too
Not sure if "Coachella SP" is the Coachella Valley Preserve (Thousand Palms Oasis) but the preserve is close to Palm Springs and worth a look. They have several guided bird walks a week if you want company

http://coachellavalleypreserve.org/guidedhikes/
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L278588

Big Morongo Canyon Preserve is about a half hour drive up from Palm Springs to the high desert and also work a look. Guided bird walks on Wednesdays

https://www.bigmorongo.org/
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L420195

Also, Friends of the California Condors do several guided tours that have access to the normally closed National Wildlife Refuge. I'd suggest emailing them and asking if they have any scheduled for the dates you will be in the Los Angeles area

https://www.friendsofcondors.org/
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 19:40   #8
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneil View Post
This was in May.

Might be Los Alamos Country Park, where they hop around your feet[/quote]

It must have been near there, as we stayed at Los Alamos that night, though I didn't go to the park itself.
Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 19:44   #9
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2019

Petroleum Club Road between Maricopa and Taft is the only place I've seen LeConte's Thrasher. It still seems to be a reliable site going by Ebird. It's easy to do as well.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th November 2019, 21:22   #10
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2019

Thanks all :)

www.adambowleyart.com

Old Friday 15th November 2019, 01:00   #11
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Condors in Big Sur is a good bet. YB Magpie is much more widely available, so a look at Ebird for recent sightings is likely all you have to do where-ever you are within their range. Lawrence Goldie in on many different pages of the local Lane's guide so likely another one where you can use ebird for recent obs. I have them from Anza Borrego just to mention one place.

Have you been to Catalina islands for the local Scrubjay? We had some good whale watching and a few good birds on the way there some time back.

Several owls should be possible -- a recent observations search in ebird might be your best bet
Niels

Recently moved to Barbados

Last edited by njlarsen : Friday 15th November 2019 at 01:04.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: