• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8 days in Thailand - May 2020 (1 Viewer)

Mike Hunter

Hi

I'm in Thailand taking advantage of another stop-off, from 9th to 16th May (8 days' birding).

I'll be mainly targetting Eared Pitta at their key sites of Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachan National Parks. But there's loads of good birds:Blue Pitta, Coral-billed Ground-cuckoo, White-fronted Scops-owl, a good number of chickens, plus visiting Wat Phra Phuttabath for Limestone Wren-babbler.

This will be my fouth visit to Thailand (but first for 16 years) and I've always seen at least one major bird - this time I hope it's Eared Pitta.

Do please PM if anyone is interested in joining me or email mike.hunter AT education.gov.uk.

It would be remiss of me not to tap into the masses of expertise on BF and any tips from Birdforum members on this trip would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike

Highly recommend staying at Baan Maka in KK. They will have up to date details on what's possible at the various private hides. A friend of mine recently got Eared Pitta at one of them. Best book hides through Ian/Games (great guide) , owners of Baan Maka, in advance as some of them get block bookings. Cheers

Hi Mike

Highly recommend staying at Baan Maka in KK. They will have up to date details on what's possible at the various private hides. A friend of mine recently got Eared Pitta at one of them. Best book hides through Ian/Games (great guide) , owners of Baan Maka, in advance as some of them get block bookings. Cheers

Hi

Sounds good. I saw that report of Eared Pitta - jealously inducing!

I'll probably do KK first, assess chances of Eared Pitta, leaving time at KY as required. Two years ago trail 33 was really productive for Eared Pitta, but last year and this it seems sightings have been rather more sporadic.

Good advice - thanks. I'll almost certainly be staying at Baan Maka.

Mike

I'll probably do KK first, assess chances of Eared Pitta, leaving time at KY as required. Two years ago trail 33 was really productive for Eared Pitta, but last year and this it seems sightings have been rather more sporadic.

Actually Mike, I've seen them regularly in the last few years in the Km33 area between the entrance and the first 300 metres.
I'm back in January so If I remember, I'll comment on your thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTJW0fOvrxE

I enjoyed listening to a couple of duetting birds just two nights ago, Mike, but in Northeast Laos!

Laos is a bit of an untapped country for Eared Pitta, but I've recorded them pretty easily in the north. The Gibbon Experience, on the Thai border, is particularly good for them - I saw several easily in just three days on-site without playback and without actively searching for them.
If that bird was my sole aim, that's where I'd go.

James

Actually Mike, I've seen them regularly in the last few years in the Km33 area between the entrance and the first 300 metres.

Hi Mark

That is interesting and whilst I'd picked up km 33 was the best area, i hadnt realised they were regular. Would be very handy to get a January update, thanks.

Mike

I enjoyed listening to a couple of duetting birds just two nights ago, Mike, but in Northeast Laos!

Laos is a bit of an untapped country for Eared Pitta, but I've recorded them pretty easily in the north. The Gibbon Experience, on the Thai border, is particularly good for them - I saw several easily in just three days on-site without playback and without actively searching for them.
If that bird was my sole aim, that's where I'd go.

James

Hi James

Yes, Eared Pitta is the sole aim. I've never really looked at Laos as a birding destination, I guess I overlook it in favour of Vietnam and Thailand as I have unfinished business in both. I'll look into this thanks. May not get there this time but next time isn't car off...

Mike

Hi Mark

A few reports from Km 33 already this year so it may well be the place to go again. By the time I get there in May the current 'cornflakes' (dry season) will be replaced by mud (wet season) meaning the birds will be an order of magnitude harder, but gives me hope. Laos next time if this mission this time fails. How did you get on?

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back