• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Yue Yang, Hunan Province, China, Nov. 21, 2019 (Part I) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi,

I took these in Yue Yang, Hunan Province, China on Nov. 21, 2019, near the Yue Yang Pavilion.

Here are my thoughts:

1. apparently a woodpecker, but which one? (edit: is this a Rufous-bellied Woodpecker? If so, that's interesting, apparently it is not that common)
2. I think this is a juvenile Brambling
3. Oriental Greenfinch (a.k.a Grey-capped)?
4 & 5: pretty sure these are male and female Yellow-bellied Tits.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Howard

Attachments

• woodpecker.jpg
    woodpecker.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 25
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 18
  • greenfinch1.jpg
    greenfinch1.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 18
  • yellow-bellied_tit1.jpg
    yellow-bellied_tit1.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 22
  • yellow-bellied_tit2.jpg
    yellow-bellied_tit2.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I agree with all your IDs, except the Brambling wouldn't be a juvenile by now but 1st-winter, and I would think no.5 is a juvenile, without consulting references.

Last edited:
I agree with all IDs.

The woodpecker is a nice record. It's presumably from the long-distance migrant population, which is quite difficult to see in southern China.

I'm not sure about how to age the female Yellow-bellied Tit. The yellow wash to the face and pale base to the bill might indicate a juvenile/first winter. But I think that a juv male should show at least some black on the head and/or grey on the mantle, so I think it's safe to say it's a female.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back