• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got my Z50 yesterday (1 Viewer)

nikonmike

And we have rain and more rain,took a shot from inside my front door last night at ISO 51200, just because i had to.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 229
What lenses do you plan to use with it? Hope you can get some birding and action shots with it to let us know about the camera.

Not bad for 51200. That was jpg out of the camera?

Marc

What lenses do you plan to use with it? Hope you can get some birding and action shots with it to let us know about the camera.

Not bad for 51200. That was jpg out of the camera?

Marc

If it becomes my birding camera i think it will be the Sigma 100-400, the shot above was a raw shot.
Interestingly after doing that i decided as i run auto ISO and the camera only uses high ISO if it has no choice i would leave it at 51200 max for fun, took this shot today in the park @ ISO 20,000.

Attachments

• DSC_0059.jpg
    DSC_0059.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 257
Thought i would add this one before i did the PP its just the one above converted to jpeg and resized.

Even this isnt bad for ISO 20,000

Attachments

• DSC_0059raw.jpg
    DSC_0059raw.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 192
I'm very interested to hear what your impressions of the Z50 are after you got to use it a bit more. These shots at high ISO look very good indeed, I'd say they look even better than shots taken with the D7500 at high ISO.

Even though the Z50 was criticized quite a lot in the photography forums for all the things it doesn't have, like IBIS, I think it's a very interesting camera that has a lot to offer: Excellent sensor, small and light wuith good ergonomics for such a small body, good weatherproofing, focus peaking and so on. Combined with AF-P 70-300 it looks like a very attractive walk-around camera. Plus it can be used with old manual Nikon lenses, like the good old 5.6/400 IF-ED.

The big question is whether the AF is good enough for birding. Is it on the same level as the Z6 (which I know a bit), or is it better? And how bad is the EVF lag? How long does it take to wake up from sleep?

Hermann

I'm very interested to hear what your impressions of the Z50 are after you got to use it a bit more. These shots at high ISO look very good indeed, I'd say they look even better than shots taken with the D7500 at high ISO.

Even though the Z50 was criticized quite a lot in the photography forums for all the things it doesn't have, like IBIS, I think it's a very interesting camera that has a lot to offer: Excellent sensor, small and light wuith good ergonomics for such a small body, good weatherproofing, focus peaking and so on. Combined with AF-P 70-300 it looks like a very attractive walk-around camera. Plus it can be used with old manual Nikon lenses, like the good old 5.6/400 IF-ED.

The big question is whether the AF is good enough for birding. Is it on the same level as the Z6 (which I know a bit), or is it better? And how bad is the EVF lag? How long does it take to wake up from sleep?

Hermann

I perhaps shouldn't say anything yet as the short time i have had to use it birding doesn't look like a good bet.
I do remember though first getting my G80 and thinking what have i done, it turned out to be user error/ lack of familieraty on most things, so I will come back on these things.

Will just say at this point i am more than happy with the 50-250 lens and the sensor, some 250mm samples.
Just not had the chance to do much.

Attachments

• 49037407391_d056f111eb_o.jpg
    49037407391_d056f111eb_o.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 49037407481_e702709142_o.jpg
    49037407481_e702709142_o.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 49041959988_beb341767d_o.jpg
    49041959988_beb341767d_o.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 193
The review I saw on the Z50 was very positive on the 50-250 zoom. You've got a lot of great shots out of it.

Nikon's track record so far is to release a mirrorless then improve AF in a firmware update. I really like the Nikon IQ and look and handling, I just wish they could get the sports AF on the Z's up to par.

Keep up the reviewing of it.

Marc

I perhaps shouldn't say anything yet as the short time i have had to use it birding doesn't look like a good bet.
I do remember though first getting my G80 and thinking what have i done, it turned out to be user error/ lack of familieraty on most things, so I will come back on these things.

Take your time ... :t: I remember the first few times I used my partner's G80 with a long telephoto, and the results weren't pretty. Getting used to a camera always takes time.

Hermann

I have the Sigma 100-400 just waiting for the adapter to come, this will give me 200-600 reach, then i can give the focusing a better test.

I have to research if everyone is just using Group for BIF.

On the Z7, I use group for BIF if it's basically open sky. It can hunt a bit. It helps to try and pre-focus so the camera is kind of in the right focus range. This is with the 500/5.6E.

If there is clutter in the background, I use a smaller focus point, like the expandable group. Full group AF with clutter chooses the wrong thing too often as the bird is usually pretty small compared to the background artifacts.

I'm not sure why, but I find the d850 with optical VF much easier to find BIF when the lens is not in the right focus range. The EVF is harder to pick out if I'm pointed the right place and the Z7 also hunts more. But I usually use the 3d af mode on the d850 so I can pick out the bird against background clutter better.

The Z50 has Dynamic only from the looks of it. I also don't see any tweak to change the amount of points there. I mainly use Group on the D500 and occasionally use Dynamic 25 point as well. I guess they restricted the Z50 a little there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back