• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sears 10x50 Binocular (1 Viewer)

HI binastro! thanks for your research for the useful / nonuseful of the " hydrogen proxide" . so bottom line it can be use for cleaning lens but better to use acetone or isopropyl alcohol. the" baader optical fluid" not familiar in israel. as I said to peter the big concern is not to make a damage to lens coating! for me as a vitage bino's colector this issue of clening is importent! for the collimation I will try to fix with the knewledge sources that I found and will inform you and the members on this forum as this issue is challenge me as a colector!

Publin,

I hope and believe your 10X50s can be fixed. On this forum we are all helpful to each other, we may disagree on many things, but they are minor in the grand scheme of things.
I have consulted Bill Cook on the issues with the repair of older porros many times, and he has helped me as I also have collected older military glass over the years. Bill brings over 40 years in the optics industry and when it comes to repair or collimation he is highly knowledgeable.
We all have different ways to communicate, but the information is there, Bill actually knows what he is talking about since he has repaired thousands of binoculars. Give him a private message, and he can help you perhaps you can do it yourself with some guidance, a small project that will save you some money.

All the best and welcome to the Birdforum binocular forum.

Best Regards,

Andy W.

HI! this bino bought on ebay without return option [ used ] . as I mention in my last thread it is a challenge for me to fix and learn bino's techniqes as I familiar with all the inner parts of binoculars.

HI ANDY! thanks for your advice! this bino have a slightly misalignment . in daylight not noticeable almost in night viewing to distence window light can see double image slightly. I have the knowledge how to fix alignment in russian vintage bino'S and I done it with my bino's collection. this sears 10x50 have the setscrew on the barrels [2 in ocular side 2 near the objective lenses] so the fix is more complicated. thanks anyway!

HI ANDY! thanks for your advice! this bino have a slightly misalignment . in daylight not noticeable almost in night viewing to distence window light can see double image slightly. I have the knowledge how to fix alignment in russian vintage bino'S and I done it with my bino's collection. this sears 10x50 have the setscrew on the barrels [2 in ocular side 2 near the objective lenses] so the fix is more complicated. thanks anyway!
HI! collimation fix to my sears 10x50. with the matching tools and a technical thinking almost
every collimation problem can be fix! without extra payment to the binocular cost [ talked about second hand items] . I will be happy to advise / help in this type of problem in the private message.

Just scanning through this thread I think the upshot is do not buy optics with fungus, more trouble than it is worth.

Bill seems to have more experience with the innards of optical instruments than most of us, and if carefully perused his cryptic contributions are usually helpful.

In the name of the forum, I will apologize to Bill for the way he was yelled at. If the mods consider this an undue action, they may remove my account.

Edmund

Last edited:
used bino's mostly came with spots/ fungus/ haze result to their age . so this kind of items as I can gues is not for you . my advice for you buy only new bino's . me as a collector I encountered and fix all this problems.

Just scanning through this thread I think the upshot is do not buy optics with fungus, more trouble than it is worth.

Bill seems to have more experience with the innards of optical instruments than most of us, and if carefully perused his cryptic contributions are usually helpful.

In the name of the forum, I will apologize to Bill for the way he was yelled at. If the mods consider this an undue action, they may remove my account.

Edmund

X2

Edmund

Agreed on all points.

Some time ago I bought SEARS 7x50 binoculars from America with eyepieces similar to those, but it came with mold inside.
I immediately opened it and disinfected it. Then I calmly cleaned it up and refurbished it. Now I use it a little, but it works very well, it is heavy (1.2Kg - 42oz) but very balanced and ergonomic.
The vision is very broad and neutral, although of low transmittance (perhaps between 70% and 80%).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back