• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confused about European guides (1 Viewer)

tim.birdboy

I've finally decided to break down and purchase a European field guide, and I found that "Collin's" comes highly recommended by many. However, I've become confused, as there appears to be several seemingly identical guides, but at widely varying prices and different covers, but the same authors. Here's what I found:

At the search of "collin's bird guide", I found this one.

Also found was this very similar one.

And then lastly, this less expensive one, with a totally different cover.

What's the deal here, are they all the same, just with different covers slapped on them? Should I just go for the least expensive? Which of these do you recommend?

Thanks!!

They're all the same book. The third one is published by Princeton as opposed to Collins for the American market. It wont make any difference which one you buy, you'll still be impressed.

Thanks to you Tim for asking the question. I've also pondered this same question and did not order any due to my uncertainty as to which version was the latest and greatest Collins. Thanks as well to all who have given us proper direction.

The first two links are hardcover versions, as others have stated. The second one is a large format (coffee-table) version of the first one (look at the dimensions). I think you are right to go for the third one (although I think there may be an updated version due in the spring, in Europe at least).

It's not going to be that much bigger & I guess will have more up to date coverage of gull splits etc. Worth the extra few gms I'd say,

John

If anyone's still confused about the different versions, I've tried to explain them all in
my review

If you're not going to be using the guide in the field and can spare the extra money, don't ignore the large hardcover version. It's a true work of art.

Does anyone have any concrete details on the new edition?

Does anyone have any concrete details on the new edition?

Good Question

I've done a quick google and have seen answers that mostly say 3rd Mar 2008
here's a typical one:
http://www.countrybookshop.co.uk/books/index.phtml?whatfor=9780007267262
This is handy because you can get the ISBN 9780007267262 from it.

However I have seen others that say Oct 2008 and one that said 2009.

It seems to be only a hardback version on the 3rd March (if that is indeed the date)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back