• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Video: Gretna Starling Roost (added by oncebittern) (1 Viewer)

BirdForum TV

68d13cf26c4b4f4T.jpg
Gretna Starling Roost
Author: oncebittern
Keywords: starling roost gretna
Added: 6 minutes ago

Click Here to View Video

To Upload Your Own Video Click Here...

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice here. I uploaded this video, but am very disapointed with the final quality - heavily pixelated in places, with much detail lost completely.

The original Digital8 recording is fine. I edited it using Windows Vista Movie Maker, and the published file shows OK when viewed on my screen.

However, when the file is uploaded to this site, the result is very poor quality.

I have kept the file size as big as possible all the way through, and have chosen all the highest quality options when saving/publishing, to try and hold as much detail as possible.

Can anyone suggest ways I can process my videos to make them more 'viewable' for upload to this site please?

All comments and help appreciated.

Steve.

Just a bit more info:

The original file that I uploaded was a 105MB .WMV file.

I've now re-cut the original footage, and published it as a 232MB .AVI file, which does seem to hold better detail, but had to be cut down to just over a minute to keep within the 250MB max size for this site.

I'd like to upload that to see if its any better, and if so, by how much, but I don't want to have loads of 'experimental' videos all over the site - how can I completely remove the old video before uploading the new one please?

I'm not sure as I've not loaded any videos myself, but I believe you can delete it? Then you can load your new one.

Have a look to see what edit options you have

D

I'm going to Craster in December for a week does anyone know anywhere around there where I might get to see something like this myself

Thanks
Gill

Hi Gill.

Lovely spot Craster - I was there this spring for a week.

I don't know of any other big roosts, but you are about 100 miles, or 2.5 hours from the Gretna one, so maybe that would be possible if you fancy a long day out?

If you do, be sure to be there in good time. Last nights display started around 4.00pm, so if you are driving all that way, maybe 2.30-3.00 would be the time to aim for in December? Better an hour early and have time for a cup of tea first, than 20 minutes late and miss it.

Hi Gill

I can point you in the direction of a roost with a few thousand birds, not too far from Craster. Not the huge numbers of Gretna, but still impressive.

cheers
martin

I'm going to Craster in December for a week does anyone know anywhere around there where I might get to see something like this myself

Thanks
Gill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back