• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why are field guides taboo in the field? (3 Viewers)

Isn't the point about LBJs that they skulk in bushes giving tantalising views. I would hate to think I wouldn't be able to identify a bird in this country if it was hopping about. Mind you, that would mean it was pretty rare - so double-edged sword there.

I always carry my collins with my some people worry to much about what other people think I bumped into a birder today at sandbach flashes in cheshire with far more expertise than me he was quite willing to show me what I was missing & where to go for the best birding not like some of the stuffy birders you bump into it's like a secret society I played golf for a number of years & a lot of them had the same sort of hierarehy & snobbery of should & should not be all I want do do is watch birds with my little book in hand.

Regards Snapper.

I don't know why this should be - daft. I always have one just in case. A few weeks ago a family came into the hide at Kinnordy and said they had seen a water rail at another hide, in fact several. I gulped. Mother then said she could see another one in front of us. I searched and searched, not picking it up so I asked her where she was seeing it then let her use my scope to find it. A Redshank!! oh well. :'D I got my field guide out to show her the pictures and pointed out the differences to her. A visual reference like this is so much easier for them.

If I've had a bird pointed out to me that I haven't seen before I like to look in the guide to note the id pointers while I can still see it and compare the real thing with the picture. Don't know if this makes sense.

D

Last edited:
am sure I've seen LBJ's hopping on my travels... but point taken :)

maybe one day I'll wake up....

suddenly get an urge to stop shaving, buy a barbour, some very expensive optics and a "strange, tassled, middle-eastern type large scarf", drop my guides in favour of a notebook and stubby pencil.

sounds like some sort of enlightened state.. o:)

I don't know what it is like in the UK but I have noticed a kind of Field Guide as crutch out here in the US. (I still carry my guide although I am fairly comfortable with most of the local birds). The thing I have noticed a lot is people reaching for their guide even when the bird is still in plain view - denying them vital seconds to look at the bird and soak up the prerequisite details needed to clinch identification. Then I see them forlornly flicking through their guide trying to decide whether the bird was say a Canada or a Magnolia whilst they miss the next handful of Warblers flitting through.

Being anti-guide is ridiculous for reasons of snobbery but I do think sometimes people miss stuff by being so intent on reaching for their guide in a panic as soon as they see something they don't recognise. Just my worthless thoughts.

Luke

LOL, Luke, that was me when I first started birding! But it didn't take long before I learned to keep the bins on the bird to look for what the guides called "field marks" or until the bird flew off. I think it's a weaning process of sorts. As I gained confidence in IDing, I relied less and less on the guides in the field except to check something very specific (usually to decide between two very smiliarly looking birds). I wouldn't dream of leaving the house without it, even if it stays in the car while I tramp around.

There's something mentioned by several people that I don't quite get. They say that you should watch the bird thoroughly, take detailed notes and then check it in the book when you get home. How is that better than watch the bird thoroughly, take detailed notes and then check it in the book straight afterwards, so you can re-check anything you missed.
Of course the practice of observation and note-taking need to be encouraged, but where and when you subsequently check your book can hardly matter, unless you are afriad of public ridicule. When I twitched regularly on the British scene I didn't carry a field guide, or at least not publicly. This was purely because I was embarrased too and not because it improved my birding. That was when I was younger and less experienced; I wouldn't worry an bit about it now.

Tom

Lucky Birder said:
I'm old fashioned and if I did see something I couldn't identify I would take notes and check when I got home. I wouldn't know where to put a fieldguide anyway; I don't have a car and even Collins is too big for my jacket.

I think it's important to note that no one is saying you should take your field guide. The point that most people are making is that they find them useful in the field and so shouldn't be sneered at for using them in the field.

Scott

I am new to this, and really had no idea
except now that it has been mentioned
I have not seen any people with guides
out in the field. hmmmm..Should I want
to use my own, I will. If they wish to think
less or snicker, then that is fine. I can rise
above a few things.

As to taking notes, I have neuropathy
and lymphadema at times in writing arm,
so notes will not always be good for me.
Hence, the book will come out.

Further, re talking: I have yet to go out with
a guide. Hope to in future and realize
they will not be chatting all the time, but
certainly some talking, laughing and comraderie.
Life is to have fun. I do not want to attend
with a stiff nosed group.. who do not smile
and never laugh.

My personal experience has been
usually, if you are nice to people they are
the same to you. Not always, but then,
I steer clear of dour or sourpusses.
:)
;)
Tks for the tips in here.

Last edited:
Hi Egret 3
Have you thought about taking notes into a dictaphone? I find it a really quick and easy way to do it. There is currently a thread running on the subject.
Tom

:bounce: it seems from everyones answer that carrying a guide is fine,makes you wonder where the thought of carrying one is taboo came from,myself as a begginner i always have one in my bag ,and most of the time i have trouble finding what iv seen anyway lol,but then you have to start somewhere dont you. ;)

yep i would agree with them tim,guides dont have all the answers ,but for general confirmation and help, i think they do a good job,especialy for begginners getting to know what we re looking at.and its nice to be able to get a bit more familiar with what a bird looks like before going to try to find it,but i also agree i have to practice id skills and notes and sketches too,to improve in all aspects of watching.

Hi Tom:

Yes.. I've been to that topic
and also will be doing this.
anything to help.. flexibility..

I'd be keeping the guide in the car
anyway. as can not carry much..

....tks...

The reason i don't get me field guide out in the field is not anything to do with taboo. The fact is i'm a student and can only afford the cheap £3.99 colins field guide. Luckily thoguh i have ad ecent looknig enough pair of binoculars. ;)

I supose with otehr birders its a matter of pride. They don't want to show that they don't know what a bird is.

I always carry a cheap WHSmiths field guide with me and refer to it when ever I need to, don't care what any one thinks, it is after all a hobby and you should go about it however you like, take note of the advice and apply it if it fits your style, I should add that in the time I have been birding I have never had any snide remarks off more accomplished birders in fact they have borrowed it to illustrate points on occasion.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I always carry a cheap WHSmiths field guide with me and refer to it when ever I need to, don't care what any one thinks, it is after all a hobby and you should go about it however you like, take note of the advice and apply it if it fits your style, I should add that in the time I have been birding I have never had any snide remarks off more accomplished birders in fact they have borrowed it to illustrate points on occasion.

Mick

Well said, why should anyone care about what others may say.

BTW, why is it called a field guide?

There are good reasons for not consulting a field guide as some people have mentioned. If other forms of note-taking are used such as rough sketches and listing of the salient features, birders would learn more finding it out rather than looking up what's already been written. I haven't yet visited many popular reserve hides - I've been fortunate to have them to myself :) - but I can see how it isn't very comfortable as the less experienced outsider

In my limited beginner's experience so far, I think the most rewarding bird sightings have been spotting a new species after being familiar with photographs and drawings of it. The field guide I have now is an old Readers Digest book (fairly dated as it considers the Little Egret to be a visiting migrant). Under each entry is a colour drawing with a few small photos to accompany it. When I saw my first Cormorant, I had only seen sketches of it before. Watching it move its head around was a great experience for me back then!

I've always been a notes and sketches person ever since I began birding properly in the early 80's.
NEVER used to take my field guide out with me cos Bill Oddie told me not to!!! ;) Said it was dude-ish LOL * BO's Little Black bird Book*
But now, in the past couple of years anyway, I've always had a copy in the car or my rucksack. BUT if I see a new bird which I can't instantly id - stuff like warblers, small waders or the dreaded LBJ buntings :eek!: - then I will still make notes but, as in the case of the Lapland Bunting at Cresswell a few months ago, I looked the bird up in the Collins guide first so I had an idea of what I should be looking out for! *still managed to dip out though!* ;)

Plus having the field guide with me when Neil and I go out birding makes it easier for me to show him where stuff is! No point in trying to show him a lovely Goldeneye if I describe it as being ''left of the Ruddy Duck and behind the Shoveler'' - poor chap wouldn't have the foggiest idea of where to look LOL
I'm not ashamed to get the field guide out.....met so many folk over the years who think us girlies can't be any good anyway ;) but if I was looking at a strange bird I'd never try to make it into something it isn't!!! If I'm not 101% sure then I don't tick it.

Gill

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back