• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Service- Good, but slow (1 Viewer)

wdc

United States
Back in July I noticed that one of the objective cover straps on a pair of 8x42 MHG's had become so torn that it was about to fall off. I contacted Nikon via email, which ended up with me dealing with Nikon Canada for some reason. They were willing to sell me a pair of objective covers, but when I told them that I lived in California, they promptly said they could not ship to the US (!). However they did give me contact information for Nikon USA (1-800-645-6687 and/or parts.nikonusa.com) Over the phone, a customer service rep. told me he thought they could replace them for free, and took down my address, telling me he would submit the request to their customer relations dept.

Yesterday, almost exactly 2 months later, they showed up in the mail. So, thanks Nikon! I guess all's well that ends well. Just took a lot longer than I figured on, and I had no idea whether they had approved the request, so had pretty much given up on getting a set from them.

-Bill

Back in July I noticed that one of the objective cover straps on a pair of 8x42 MHG's had become so torn that it was about to fall off. I contacted Nikon via email, which ended up with me dealing with Nikon Canada for some reason. They were willing to sell me a pair of objective covers, but when I told them that I lived in California, they promptly said they could not ship to the US (!). However they did give me contact information for Nikon USA (1-800-645-6687 and/or parts.nikonusa.com) Over the phone, a customer service rep. told me he thought they could replace them for free, and took down my address, telling me he would submit the request to their customer relations dept.

Yesterday, almost exactly 2 months later, they showed up in the mail. So, thanks Nikon! I guess all's well that ends well. Just took a lot longer than I figured on, and I had no idea whether they had approved the request, so had pretty much given up on getting a set from them.

-Bill

WOW! That's quite a wait for objective covers! LOL

I can't figure Nikon out. There are posts all over the web with a wide range of experiences with their customer service, ranging from very good to very poor. With their warranty change in the US I wonder if service quality will change.

Wow, Bill, that sounds like a very slow response time, but at least someone cared enough to follow through on it from Nikon and got you what you wanted. It does seem often these days that multiple tries are too often necessary to get things resolved with many companies today, though it does seem that they want to help you, only it's not easy for them either, sometimes to get it done. I wish that more companies either acted like Amazon.com in their customer service operations, or possibly Amazon contracted out their customer service departments to other companies who are in need of a model to work from. But even Amazon is not perfect; more of a matter maybe of growing too quickly to keep up sometimes for them as well.

Nothing is perfect, and nothing is static. The world still revolves and evolves, even if we liked it the way it used to be. Who are we to argue with progress?! ; ) As an old guy, sometimes I just want the world to stop long enough for me to jump off, when I've had enough fun that day. It seems those days come a bit more often than they used to before. Just evolution and old bones, I guess.

My only dealing with Nikon service was a repeated attempt just to tighten the hinge on an SE 8x32 to proper tolerances. The 1st time they torqued them so tight, it wasn't funny. The next time sending them out, they got it right. Not an endorsement for proper service, for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back