• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

reed bunting? -- Asturias, Spain (1 Viewer)

This is a female 1cy Cirl Bunting - Yellowhammer show more diffuse streaking to upper breast, never so distinct and contrasted - there are subtle differences too in body shape- Cirl giving an altogether more compact, neater appearance in shape and plumage with dark (not grey or rufous) ‘pigeon feet’ streaking extending across upper breast. Flanks can be as link shows
https://philipstrange.files.wordpre...rl-bunting-photo-by-david-r-white-reduced.jpg

An instructive bird - on reflection i would have thought Cirl would be the default species for the area although i have no idea of Yellowhammer distribution.

Laurie:t:

An instructive bird - on reflection i would have thought Cirl would be the default species for the area although i have no idea of Yellowhammer distribution.

Laurie:t:

Well in the North you also find yellowhammer quite commonly. I have not been at the northern coast but somewhat inland around Leon, seeing both species there...

Thank you all for the answers! I actually have a record of calls of this bird, so I'm attaching it here now
Thanks again!

Attachments

• Cirl bunting_.m4a
    98.2 KB · Views: 28
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back