• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Siem Reap, Cambodia, Nov. 2019 (Part II) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, continuing from the previous thread, I took these in or around Siem Reap between the 24th and 29th of November, 2019.

My thoughts:

1 & 2: juvenile and adult Scaly-breasted Munia (Nutmeg Mannikin)?
3 & 4: adult and juvenile Zebra Dove?
5: surely Alexandrine Parakeet?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Attachments

• bird8.jpg
    bird8.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 31
  • bird9.jpg
    bird9.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 23
  • dove1.jpg
    dove1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 24
  • dove2.jpg
    dove2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 22
  • alexandrine_parakeet_11_25_2019.jpg
    alexandrine_parakeet_11_25_2019.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 25
It looks like the juv munia may have the first adult feathers appearing just under the bill. To me these look like they are dark brown, which would perhaps favour Scaly-breasted over Chestnut. But maybe I'm just trying to hard to put a name to it and looking for features that aren't there.

Juv munias can be tough if there aren't adults nearby. Was it associating with the adult in photo #2?

I'd also lean toward juvenile Scaly-breasted over juv Chestnut. In my experience Chestnut munia juv can often look kind of patchy and the breast tends to be much lighter, whereas Scaly breasted are more even colored over all.

My photo of juv Scaly-breasted: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kXEVpx5Xp98G3NAq9

Very poor photo of juv Chestnut with adults: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AZNGYw7M5hMpysrPA

All that to say, I'm not completely sure but lean toward scaly breasted.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back