• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Layers help please (Photoshop CC) (1 Viewer)

Pete007

Having spent too long doing things the wrong way I am finally trying to get to grips with using layers to better effect and it has be said I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to using them.
I would therefore appreciate any help (in simple terms !) in how I would best achieve a composite using the two images shown.
I would like to use the image of these birds in flight against a better looking background such as the sunset sky illustrated.
As the moment I am selecting the background sky and then creating a layer.
I then copy and paste the birds on top of this layer and adjust the opacity to give an image than appears washed out and not what Im trying to achieve.
I suspect what I need to do is isolate the birds from the original background before placing this on the layer but I'm not really sure how best to do this.
I would therefore appreciate any help on how I should go about combining the two images so the birds appear boldly silhouetted against the sunset sky.
I attach the following images to show the two being used and the third showing the washed out image I currently achieve.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Background_IMG_3051.jpg
    Background_IMG_3051.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Birds_M7A4130.jpg
    Birds_M7A4130.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Blended_IMG_3051.jpg
    Blended_IMG_3051.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 50
Just on my phone at the in laws so can't have a play myself. But try selecting a bird using the magic wand with contiguous turned off. Plus use your selection to create a layer mask rather than deleting stuff from the layer.

You could also create a layer stack and then try the different stack averaging options.

It has been a long time since I have done something like this so take with a grain of salt:
1 select the background of the bird photo using the magic wand. adjust settings until happy.
2 diminish the selection with 1 pixel, and blur the selection with about 1 pixel
3 invert the selection
4 copy the selected into a new layer above your background.
5 play around with the blending modes
if necessary, add a layer to lighten the birds a little, given that the background likely will darken them a bit

Hope this helps

Niels

Many thanks for the information - it will obviously take me a little practice but hopefully I'l be able to master things in time

Just on my phone at the in laws so can't have a play myself. But try selecting a bird using the magic wand with contiguous turned off. Plus use your selection to create a layer mask rather than deleting stuff from the layer.

You could also create a layer stack and then try the different stack averaging options.

You'd be all day trying to select every individual bird with a magic wand :-O

With a plain sky background like that - try playing around with the "background eraser" tool on the image with the birds.

Did this in about a minute - Limits - Discontiguous, Tolerance 27%

Not perfect but with a bit of playing around...

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back