Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kowa USA Service

Old Wednesday 17th October 2018, 13:44   #1
bonesmalones

Kowa USA Service

I recently dropped my 8.5x44 Genesis and one of the eyecups got bent. I sent them in to Kowa USA service and I have to say, so far they've been really good. They looked them over and sent me an invoice for the fix and I expect to have them back next week. All in all not unpleasant in any way. I'll update when I get them back.
Old Thursday 18th October 2018, 00:29   #2
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

If you wouldn't mind, what was the invoice? There exists seemingly limited info on Kowa's service department, in particular as it pertains to damage such as this (i.e. user-inflicted damage not covered by warranty).

Thanks!
Old Thursday 18th October 2018, 01:20   #3
bonesmalones

Labor $95, new eye cups $35. They clean, nitrogen purge (not certain what this is), collimate. A bargain I think.

Edit: Nitrogen purge looks like a good thing. (Google knows everything).

Last edited by bonesmalones : Thursday 18th October 2018 at 01:34.
Old Thursday 18th October 2018, 01:47   #4
18000bph

As a new owner of Genesis 8x33, this is encouraging to hear. I'm glad to hear that the customer service is responsive and that the damage was due to user error and not manufacturer defect!
Old Wednesday 24th October 2018, 16:25   #5
bonesmalones

I got the Kowa 8.5x44 back from Kowa USA service yesterday and they did a great job on the fix, they're cleaned and look new. The ONLY disappointment is that I specifically asked for a replacement carrying case as I had lost the original and they did not include one in the shipment and no mention of it on the paperwork so I'll be calling them back again today.
Old Monday 29th October 2018, 13:15   #6
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Thanks for the info. I want another pair of the 8.5x44s... I sold them awhile back because of issues with my shoulder and the hefty nature of them, but I've regained some of the strength in my arm and so far have not found another pair of binoculars that offered everything the Kowa did for the price (I got mine as an Eagle Optics demo).

It is good to hear that service was done well and fairly ($130 for user-inflicted damage is not bad). That was always a concern of mine as there was so little info regarding their warranty and service department(s).

Justin
Old Monday 29th October 2018, 13:59   #7
bonesmalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
Thanks for the info. I want another pair of the 8.5x44s... I sold them awhile back because of issues with my shoulder and the hefty nature of them, but I've regained some of the strength in my arm and so far have not found another pair of binoculars that offered everything the Kowa did for the price (I got mine as an Eagle Optics demo).

It is good to hear that service was done well and fairly ($130 for user-inflicted damage is not bad). That was always a concern of mine as there was so little info regarding their warranty and service department(s).

Justin
I did speak to their service department again and they didn't drop the ball. They're looking into how to get ahold of a new carrying case as they have none in stock. As a side note, I recently picked up a pair of Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 and they are equally as good as the 8.5x44(which I also got as an Eagle Optics demo). Beautiful instruments.
Old Sunday 11th November 2018, 19:52   #8
bonesmalones

Closing the loop on this, I just received from Kowa USA a new carrying case, no charge. They seem to measure up pretty good against the competition?
Old Sunday 14th July 2019, 18:59   #9
Super Dave

Hi, I'm glad to hear your service experience was better than mine. In late 2017 I purchased their best spotting scope (which is amazing) from an authorized dealer along with a bunch of extra Kowa accessories. There was something wrong with the twist up eye cup...it wasn't staying locked in place and I sent them a video of the problem. It's an inexpensive part and I figured that they would send a replacement. They were a pain and wanted me to buy a new one. So, they gave me the part number and I ordered...and it was the wrong part / no fit. I ended up epoxying the bad one at the correct height.
The warranty departments from Leupold and Nikon have set a high bar. I've never been charged for service and have probably used the warranties 6 or 7 times over the years.
Having said that, I'm very happy with the Kowa but understand that if something goes wrong it likely won't be a free fix.
Old Sunday 14th July 2019, 19:09   #10
Piskeddu

hello, I also had a problem with my 8.5x44, the rubber was a bit unstuck, there was air leakage, my binoculars are 8 years old, called Kowa via email. Germany, sent and returned after a week put in place without paying anything. it's a wonderful pair of binoculars !!! Giorgio

Inviato dal mio LG-H930 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old Sunday 14th July 2019, 23:43   #11
Super Dave

That's good news. I'm glad to hear the trend is positive with Kowa warranty service.
Dave
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: