Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

ABA Big Year 2019

Old Saturday 7th December 2019, 17:05   #276
msmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppit17 View Post
Just to show my ignorance further - is Midway part of the ABA area?

My understanding is that it was not part of the state of Hawaii and part of the odd status of "outlying islands". As such it does not appear to be part of the definition of the qualifying area.
Midway is included. It makes a certain weird sense, as the atoll falls between Hawaii and Kure (which is technically part of Hawaii), making it an "enclave." There's apparently also precedent for Hawaii state listers including it. More here: http://blog.aba.org/2016/11/the-aba-...-now-what.html
Old Monday 9th December 2019, 14:41   #277
Tikli

John's latest blog post about the futile search of Nutting's Flycatcher and clarifications on his observation dates mixup mentioned by Muppit17.

Sadly no new species. Next target is Black-headed Gull.

https://birdingyear.com/arizona-innings-over/
Old Monday 9th December 2019, 18:22   #278
Paul Chapman

Black-headed Gull to set a record! That just about sums up regional yearlisting.

Hopefully he'll score and then pick up a few more though only Short-tailed Hawk should be easy.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Monday 9th December 2019 at 19:28.
Old Tuesday 10th December 2019, 05:41   #279
Paul Chapman

Unfortunately, just tales of dipping and Bonaparte's so far. I've failed in a game of pick the Black-headed in the attached pics but only looked on a handheld device:-

https://birdingyear.com/cant-buy-a-thrill/

All the best

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191208-06363800404JRW_0919.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	712193  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5801.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	712194  Click image for larger version

Name:	20191208-09233600351JRW_1290.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	712195  

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 02:58   #280
keeneone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Another update including some nice pics but as yet no record-breaker:-

https://birdingyear.com/4167-2/

I presume that we are due an ABA list update soon that should include the Parakeet to change (832 + 4) to (833 + 3)? Is that right?

All the best
The ABA just released the updated checklist with 4 additions!!!
Stejnegerís Scoter (Melanitta stejnegeri), Code 4
Dark-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus melacoryphus), Code 5
Long-legged Buzzard (Buteo rufinus) Code 5
Yellow-chevroned Parakeet (Brotogeris chiriri), Code 2

Laura Keene
Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 03:33   #281
trptjoe

Wikipedia has been updated. I have some cleaning up to do in the formulas for my sheets; by tomorrow morning I'll post the updates.

Joe

Last edited by trptjoe : Thursday 12th December 2019 at 04:12.
Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 08:10   #282
Paul Chapman

Laura/Joe

Many thanks. So 835+1 with only Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler as provisional? The Warbler seems nailed on for acceptance.

All the best

Old Thursday 12th December 2019, 22:48   #283
trptjoe

Hey, since it's one of only two nights this week that I'm not playing ('tis the season for trumpeters...) I figured I'd get this done. Here are the ABA sheets with updated codes. I applaud the committee's choice to make every Hawaiian bird at least a Code 2.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx ABABigYears2019.xlsx (138.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: xlsx ABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (619.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by trptjoe : Friday 13th December 2019 at 03:20.
Old Friday 13th December 2019, 15:26   #284
trptjoe

And here are the Continental ABA lists. I had to correct a mistake I'd made in the McQuades' lists; they have Black-headed, not Black-tailed Gull. Oops...
I love comparing the 2019 birders to the earlier Big Year birders. Different worlds, but I think Sandy Komito's 1998 Big Year is amazing. Imagine what he could have done that year with instant alerts.

Joe
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx (179.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: xlsx ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx (665.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by trptjoe : Saturday 14th December 2019 at 14:23.
Old Saturday 14th December 2019, 03:18   #285
Paul Higson

The record falls - B H Gull falls at Niagara Falls.

"I celebrated the find, which represents my 837th species for the year – an unofficial new Big Year Record "

Many, many congratulations John.

Paul Higson
Old Saturday 14th December 2019, 14:22   #286
Muppit17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptjoe View Post
Hey, since it's one of only two nights this week that I'm not playing ('tis the season for trumpeters...) I figured I'd get this done. Here are the ABA sheets with updated codes. I applaud the committee's choice to make every Hawaiian bird at least a Code 2.

Joe
Joe

To be clear, what is the status of the 2019 lists? It seems that John's is up to date - with the exception of yesterday's B-h Gull. But Amanda's is not, being at least 10 species down on her eBird list. What about the others.

Many thanks for all your efforts in keeping us updated.
Old Saturday 14th December 2019, 14:36   #287
trptjoe

Amanda likely has 25 more species, as her AOU eBird list (which includes Hawaii) is 752. Subtract one for Mexican Duck, but she's doing quite well. She's been to Hawaii at least twice, but I'm at the mercy of the given birder. Some birders (like the Deans) actually text me for each new bird, and the McQuades shoot an email.
All the other lists are up to date. I'm the person who updates the Wikipedia page, so that's a good one to bookmark if you want to see the statuses of other lists. I don't have spreadsheets for the US or the Lower 48, but birders have been very good about keeping me on track with those numbers. John will likely nail down the rest of the lists in January during his birding detox when he gets back home. He's likely just over 700 in the Lower 48 this year, but he'll calculate all that when he's finished. Although he's on the cusp of setting a new US Big Year record, his Lower 48 won't threaten Olaf's record, as far as I can ascertain. It was a stated goal at the start of the year, but 2019 been an unexpectedly bumpy road for him. And he's still going to set two new records!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_year

Joe
Old Monday 16th December 2019, 17:32   #288
Paul Chapman

Short-tailed Hawk secured so 837+1 and a clear gap on the record:-

https://birdingyear.com/the-list-so-far/

https://birdingyear.com/get-shorty-a...g-year-record/

All the best

Old Monday 16th December 2019, 18:40   #289
msmith

He seems to have a Myiarchus mislabeled as a Tropical Kingbird in this post - though given the state he's in I'll gladly let it slide!
Old Tuesday 17th December 2019, 13:54   #290
Tikli

Congratulations to John!

Here's a list of missing code 3's (bolded seen in 2016). Whooper Swan and Steller's Eider might be still gettable. Anything else?

Whooper Swan
Laysan Duck
Common Pochard
Stellerís Eider

Smew
Masked Duck
Common Cuckoo
Mariana Swiftlet
Curlew Sandpiper

Temminck's Stint
Long-billed Murrelet
Rossís Gull
Blue-gray Noddy
Tristam's Storm-Petrel
Least Storm-Petrel
Trindade Petrel
White-necked Petrel
Bonin Petrel
Christmas Shearwater
Gray-headed Chickadee
Millerbird
Eyebrowed Trush
Laysan Finch
Nihoa Finch
Island Canary
Flame-colored Tanager
Old Tuesday 17th December 2019, 23:37   #291
msmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikli View Post
Congratulations to John!

Here's a list of missing code 3's (bolded seen in 2016). Whooper Swan and Steller's Eider might be still gettable. Anything else?
Virtually no chance at any of the rest of those, I'm afraid. There are several Code 4s and 5s that could potentially make an appearance, though - Yellow-legged Gull, Graylag Goose, Northern Lapwing, Streak-backed Oriole, and Blue Bunting (among others) have all turned up in December in recent years. It's been a bit of a slow rarity season, so I'm hoping there's still a surprise In store over these final couple of weeks.
Old Wednesday 18th December 2019, 11:57   #292
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
Virtually no chance at any of the rest of those, I'm afraid. There are several Code 4s and 5s that could potentially make an appearance, though - Yellow-legged Gull, Graylag Goose, Northern Lapwing, Streak-backed Oriole, and Blue Bunting (among others) have all turned up in December in recent years. It's been a bit of a slow rarity season, so I'm hoping there's still a surprise In store over these final couple of weeks.
Oi! That's Greylag to you, its name is in Old World English, it's not one of your Nearctic endemics - Mr Smyth.....

Merry Christmas, y'all.

John
Old Wednesday 18th December 2019, 18:46   #293
Muppit17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trptjoe View Post
Amanda likely has 25 more species, as her AOU eBird list (which includes Hawaii) is 752. Subtract one for Mexican Duck, but she's doing quite well. She's been to Hawaii at least twice, but I'm at the mercy of the given birder. Some birders (like the Deans) actually text me for each new bird, and the McQuades shoot an email.
All the other lists are up to date. I'm the person who updates the Wikipedia page, so that's a good one to bookmark if you want to see the statuses of other lists. I don't have spreadsheets for the US or the Lower 48, but birders have been very good about keeping me on track with those numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_year

Joe
Understood Joe,

I see Amanda is back in Hawaii, and I think she has pulled into overall 2nd place from the species lists on eBird.
Old Thursday 19th December 2019, 14:09   #294
msmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Oi! That's Greylag to you, its name is in Old World English, it's not one of your Nearctic endemics - Mr Smyth.....

Merry Christmas, y'all.

John
Lol - take it up with eBird! I do see, however, from your correct usage of the second person plural, that you have a proper appreciation of Nearctic culture.
Old Friday 20th December 2019, 23:25   #295
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

E-bird is the Death Star of ornithological cultural imperialism!

Hong Kong: Chinese Grey Shrike, Japanese Night Heron, White-tailed Robin (478)
Greater China: European Golden Plover, Glossy Ibis, Japanese Night Heron (974)
Lifer: Tennessee Warbler, Copper Pheasant, Japanese Night Heron
Old Saturday 21st December 2019, 11:16   #296
Muppit17

Quote:
Lol - take it up with eBird! I do see, however, from your correct usage of the second person plural, that you have a proper appreciation of Nearctic culture.
Nothing to do with eBird. If you set it to English UK names it will come up with Greylag. If you set it to English American it will come up with Graylag. It comes back to two countries separated by the same language.

As it simply means Grey goose and comes from the old English word that can be written either grei or grai, either works historically.
Old Saturday 21st December 2019, 13:28   #297
msmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppit17 View Post
Nothing to do with eBird. If you set it to English UK names it will come up with Greylag. If you set it to English American it will come up with Graylag. It comes back to two countries separated by the same language.

As it simply means Grey goose and comes from the old English word that can be written either grei or grai, either works historically.
Good point - in my blind Americentrism, I'd forgotten that UK names were even an option. Just to be provocative, I'll note that Samuel Johnson himself preferred the spelling "gray"...
Old Saturday 21st December 2019, 19:32   #298
Farnboro John

Quote:
Good point - in my blind Americentrism, I'd forgotten that UK names were even an option. Just to be provocative, I'll note that Samuel Johnson himself preferred the spelling "gray"...
His dictionary is a fine read, it will teach you things you never knew....

I like "blind Americentrism". I may find a use for that in due course

John
Old Sunday 22nd December 2019, 15:52   #299
Paul Chapman

John still plugging away. Remarkable tenacity from someone who has already beaten his own record:-

https://birdingyear.com/bus-drivers-holiday/

All the best

Old Sunday 22nd December 2019, 16:27   #300
Muppit17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
John still plugging away. Remarkable tenacity from someone who has already beaten his own record:-

https://birdingyear.com/bus-drivers-holiday/

All the best
Appears to be planning to head back to Alaska, I guess his aim is both Whooper Swan and Gray-headed Chickadee (Siberian Tit), although I have not seen any records of either this winter. I guess Steller's Eider may still be there as some have been on Kodiak recently.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: