Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Interview with Zeiss Head of Repairs and Servicing

Old Sunday 13th October 2019, 17:17   #1
Troubador

Interview with Zeiss Head of Repairs and Servicing

A new and in-depth interview on the changes taking place within Zeiss Customer Service can be found at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread...51#post3906351

Lee
Old Monday 14th October 2019, 00:52   #2
bluespiderweb
Great Grey Looking Out

Good interview Lee, thank you!

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 14th October 2019, 07:02   #3
42za

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
A new and in-depth interview on the changes taking place within Zeiss Customer Service can be found at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread...51#post3906351

Lee
Hello,

A nice pertinent interview with Zeiss , thank you.

It is encouraging to see that Zeiss is aware that there are people in other parts of the world other than the U.S.A. and Europe.

It now remains to be seen if Zeiss will actually do anything about this.

It is after all "the money that buys the whiskey".

Cheers.
Old Monday 14th October 2019, 16:26   #4
Foss

Thanks for the great post and interview Lee.
Old Monday 14th October 2019, 18:52   #5
ABCY 1

And thanks from here, Lee. Having some feedback during the warranty return process would be reassuring.
I’ve just sent back my Conquest HD 8x32 for a recurring focussing issue, for the second time since I bought them new four years ago. Turnaround time from Australia was 3 months last time and I’m hopeful there may be a quicker resolution this time, but there seems to be no way of tracking what’s going on and it would be good if Zeiss can address that. Having binos in for repair for 6 months out of 4 years is not good!
Cheers, Peter
Old Monday 14th October 2019, 20:28   #6
Steve C

Lee,

These are always interesting and informative. I for one appreciate the fact you have developed the contacts needed and are willing to take the time, effort and expense to do this, so thanks.

One thing I have been curious about is the original move from Virginia to New York. Virginia was a Sports Optics repair center, and New York was/is not, at least according to one mutual acquaintance of ours. That move lost Zeiss a whole lot of service and warranty experience. That it seems, left New York at some disadvantage. However I have no idea of the New York center's real abilities. So Herr Cramer is right in realizing this could have better "optics". The move to Kentucky makes sense as he explains it as both UPS and FedEx have major centers there.

It could be the "whole lot of experience" was getting ready to retire. and that could have been a factor in the timing.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.

Last edited by Steve C : Monday 14th October 2019 at 20:30.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 14th October 2019, 22:00   #7
jgraider

And not to mention that New York is tax hell, an unfriendly business climate as such. This is one main reason Meopta USA moved to Florida from tax hell New York.
Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 01:33   #8
NDhunter

And now Zeiss has moved to Kentucky, where they have a large optics center, mostly for glasses
lenses. I reported on this a few months ago, with the move they are now training new help, and most
repairs will be sent to Germany. I spoke directly to the head of service, USA. So things have not changed
much.

Many companies send things back to the homeland, including Meopta, Leica and depending on the
optic, Swarovski.

Jerry
Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 07:53   #9
LucaPCP

I just sent in my Terra 8x25 for a repair, and I am extremely satisfied with the service and turnaround time (and with the results!).
Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 13:13   #10
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Lee,

These are always interesting and informative. I for one appreciate the fact you have developed the contacts needed and are willing to take the time, effort and expense to do this, so thanks.

One thing I have been curious about is the original move from Virginia to New York. Virginia was a Sports Optics repair center, and New York was/is not, at least according to one mutual acquaintance of ours. That move lost Zeiss a whole lot of service and warranty experience. That it seems, left New York at some disadvantage. However I have no idea of the New York center's real abilities. So Herr Cramer is right in realizing this could have better "optics". The move to Kentucky makes sense as he explains it as both UPS and FedEx have major centers there.

It could be the "whole lot of experience" was getting ready to retire. and that could have been a factor in the timing.

The closure of Virginia and the move to NY was part of a gradual world-wide integration of Sports Optics into the Consumer Products Group. It has happened in the UK and as we have seen on Birdforum it has happened in Germany and of course it happened inthe States.

NY did have servicing capabilities and in the interview you will have read about the training ini KY being done by a NT employee. However I am sure that NY never reached the full potential as a service centre as it didn't exist for long enough before the owner of the building said Hi and Goodbye.

Lee
Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 13:14   #11
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
And now Zeiss has moved to Kentucky, where they have a large optics center, mostly for glasses
lenses. I reported on this a few months ago, with the move they are now training new help, and most
repairs will be sent to Germany. I spoke directly to the head of service, USA. So things have not changed
much.

Many companies send things back to the homeland, including Meopta, Leica and depending on the
optic, Swarovski.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry and while some repairs are going back to Germany at the moment, HerrCramer made it very clear this is not the long-term plan.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Wednesday 16th October 2019 at 07:30.
Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 22:45   #12
gunut
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaPCP View Post
I just sent in my Terra 8x25 for a repair, and I am extremely satisfied with the service and turnaround time (and with the results!).
what did they repair....I sent mine in for slightly loose hinge and received a new one.....
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 19:40   #13
OhWeh

Thanks Lee for this interview!
Old Saturday 19th October 2019, 07:37   #14
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhWeh View Post
Thanks Lee for this interview!
You are welcome
Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread