Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help with Spanish moth

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 21st November 2019, 08:22   #1
Yvonnen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 5
Help with Spanish moth

I found this moth in Spain this summer. Not sure if it is a Anthometra plumularia.
Found July 03 - in Picos de Europa - Valle Estremero

Can anyone help?

//Yvonne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5d344d4e9a43d.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	710554  
Yvonnen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 21st November 2019, 11:10   #2
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 15,947
Your ID looks good to me Yvonne.

https://www.biodiversidadvirtual.org...img935669.html
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 21st November 2019, 11:14   #3
Yvonnen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 5
Hi Andy
Thanks a lot for confirming! This has really been a killers since a biologist from Denmark told me the ID was wrong.
Was quite sure I had the correct one
// Yvonne
Yvonnen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 21st November 2019, 11:24   #4
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nottingham UK and St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 15,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnen View Post
Hi Andy
Thanks a lot for confirming! This has really been a killers since a biologist from Denmark told me the ID was wrong.
Was quite sure I had the correct one
// Yvonne
At the link I posted, it even seems to be on the same kind of flowers.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 21st November 2019, 15:29   #5
Ficedula
velico ergo sum
 
Ficedula's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Weston-super Mare
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnen View Post
I found this moth in Spain this summer. Not sure if it is a Anthometra plumularia.
Found July 03 - in Picos de Europa - Valle Estremero

Can anyone help?

//Yvonne
Your identification appears to be correct, or at least I can't find a better match. Did your "biologist" contact explain why it wasn't this species?
Perhaps because according to Leraut 2009 this species is unknown in the Picos? Mainly known from further south around Madrid where described as "highly local".

If ID and locality correct then this must be a good record worth passing on to a specialist. Try Dave Grundy.
__________________
British & Irish everything list 10795
Ficedula is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 08:39   #6
THE_FERN
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
At the link I posted, it even seems to be on the same kind of flowers.
Iberis sp. : candytuft
THE_FERN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 09:02   #7
Simon Wates
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Algarve, Portugal
Posts: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FERN View Post
Iberis sp. : candytuft
I'm having difficulty identifying these flowers but I cannot see Iberis sp. here. Sorry
Simon Wates is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 09:34   #8
King Edward
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Herefordshire
Posts: 518
The flowers look like Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) or something related. Asteraceae, not Brassicaceae.
King Edward is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 09:37   #9
Ficedula
velico ergo sum
 
Ficedula's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Weston-super Mare
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Edward View Post
The flowers look like Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) or something related. Asteraceae, not Brassicaceae.
Correct. Not Iberis
__________________
British & Irish everything list 10795
Ficedula is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 22nd November 2019, 19:37   #10
honeym
Registered User
 
honeym's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ficedula View Post
Your identification appears to be correct, or at least I can't find a better match. Did your "biologist" contact explain why it wasn't this species?
Perhaps because according to Leraut 2009 this species is unknown in the Picos? Mainly known from further south around Madrid where described as "highly local".

If ID and locality correct then this must be a good record worth passing on to a specialist. Try Dave Grundy.
I agree that the id of the specimen (a female) looks to be correct.

Geometridae Ibericae shows a more detailed distribution (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ricae&f=false) and I would suggest that the person to contact would be Teresa Farino, who runs butterfly and moth tours of the Picos (https://www.thepicosdeeuropa.com/wil...tebrates/moths).

Martin

Last edited by honeym : Friday 22nd November 2019 at 19:40.
honeym is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spanish Moth? tperry Butterflies and Moths ID 3 Tuesday 5th June 2018 15:07
Spanish moth occasional Butterflies and Moths ID 3 Monday 28th October 2013 21:31
Spanish Moth for ID tperry Butterflies and Moths ID 2 Wednesday 22nd May 2013 18:15
Spanish Moth for ID 400mark Butterflies and Moths ID 3 Saturday 12th December 2009 16:29
Spanish Moth andrew_chick Butterflies and Moths 2 Friday 13th April 2007 13:19

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.16805100 seconds with 25 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:36.